Graduation News from Dr. Mark Armstrong
Greetings Class of 2019!
As College Marshal, it is my responsibility to make sure everybody who will be participating in the Graduation weekend ceremonies, is informed. Please email me ASAP at email@example.com, and answer the following questions:
- Are you planning to graduate this May?
- Are you planning to participate in the Commencement activities?
Please email me ASAP with you answer, either way.
Here are some things you should keep in mind:
- Important Events
Mar. 1: 10-2: CB Grad in DCC to take announcement orders (not required)
April 1: Deadline to order caps and gowns
May 17, 10:00 AM Rehearsal for Baccalaureate and Commencement, Gym
May 17, 5:30 Senior Banquet, Woodson
May 17, 7:30 PM Gather in robes in Bothwell’s classroom hallway to line up
May 17, 8:00 PM Baccalaureate, Bothwell Auditorium
May 18, 8:00 AM Breakfast for Graduates and Families, McKinley House
May 18, 9:30 AM Gather on second floor Hudson to robe and line up (Gym in case of rain)
May 18, 10:30 AM Commencement, Hudson Quad (Gym in case of rain)
- Ordering pictures
There will be a professional photographer at the graduation events taking candids. They will also be taking headshots of all the graduates and photos as you come off the stage after receiving your diploma. They will also have a “group” photo made from the headshots. If you want to order any of them, you can fill out a form at rehearsal (see below) or go to their website. You are NOT required to order photos, but you are required to have your picture taken.
- Ordering announcements
You can order from CD Grad here: www.cbgrad.balfour.com or 1-800-433-0296 . They will also be in DCC on March 1 (10 – 2) to take your order. Announcements are not required.
- Ordering caps and gowns
In order to walk across the stage at Commencement, you will need to have a cap and gown. It is recommended that you order from Herff-Jones before April 1 (http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/blackburn/ so all the graduates will look the same, but you may use another source if you wish. Be aware that if you rent from Herff-Jones, you will need to return the gown. You may keep the cap.
- Dress code
Academic dress is appropriate clothing worn under academic cap and gown with no additional decoration on the gowns, except official pins and/or cords from recognized honorary societies. All graduating Alpha Chi members who are participating in Baccalaureate must wear the Blackburn academic hood (rose-colored). Alpha Chi members: during the week of double instruction periods, please stop by the bookstore in DCC to pick up your hood. For Baccalaureate only, caps are not worn.
- What happens at Rehearsal, and why is it so important to attend?
At rehearsal we will:
- Hand out information about ordering picture and/or DVD’s.
- Hear important announcements from various campus offices regarding diplomas, events, etc.
- Line you up in the exact order you will march in for Commencement.
- Go over the steps you will follow as you process into the Commencement site with your classmates.
- Practice entering the rows so you will be in the right order to receive your diploma.
- Practice crossing the stage individually so you will know what to expect at Commencement.
- Make sure we have the correct pronunciation of your name so it will be announced correctly as you cross the stage at Commencement.
- Answer questions and concerns you may have.
Clearly, Rehearsal is extremely important, so it is MANDATORY!
- What is Baccalaureate and why is it so important?
Baccalaureate is an honored tradition that goes back hundreds of years and has been carried out at colleges around the world. It is a worship service for the Graduates and their friends and families. Faculty, Staff, Trustees and other Dignitaries gather with you, the Graduates, all arrayed in academic regalia (graduation gowns) to honor and finalize your graduation. You will process and sit with your classmates in your graduation gowns. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND. If you have a severe religious objection, or an unavoidable conflict, you must contact the College Marshal.
- What events are my guests invited to?
Baccalaureate, Friday, May 17 at 8:00 PM in Bothwell Auditorium. (Guests should arrive early)
Commencement Breakfast, Saturday, May 18 at 8:00 AM, McKinley House
Commencement, Saturday, May 18 at 10:30 AM on the Hudson Quad (or in the Gym in case of rain). Guests should arrive early.