What is it? How is it different than a resume?
- Brief introduction to who you are, why you are applying, and why you would be a good fit for the job
- More personal, conversational, and detailed than a resume
Why is it needed?
- An effective customized letter shows off your writing skills, attributes, and indicates your interest in the job
- It can explain things a resume cannot (ex: gaps in employment, willingness to move)
When is it needed?
- (almost) Always
- Include a customized cover letter even if it is not asked for
- Exceptions: if a posting says to not include one, or if there is not an upload option through an online application
What should a cover letter include?
Review this short Power Point to help you get started: