As a college affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA), Blackburn College takes seriously the task of nurturing the spiritual dimension of our students. We strive to provide spiritual and emotional support for the students, faculty, and staff of Blackburn College, as well as opportunities for growth and development, while encouraging meaningful engagement with one another and within the larger community.
As a work college, we are uniquely positioned to have substantive conversation about vocation – the idea that the work we do is much more than a means to an end; the idea that each of us is called to make a difference through the choices we make over the course of our lives, and on a daily basis. We spend a good bit of time promoting vocational considerations.
The welcome is wide – there is a place for people of all faiths and traditions as well as no particular background; for people who are wondering, wandering; for people who wish to deepen their faith commitment; for people who want to ask difficult questions and question easy answers.
At Blackburn College,
- we celebrate community, coming together in our efforts to learn, work, and earn, through cooperation and collaboration.
- we celebrate diversity, and appreciate the differences we all bring to the table.
- we encourage responsibility for ourselves and regard for each other.
- we encourage the search for meaning in the work we do and in the lives we lead.
- we recognize the privilege of access to quality higher education, and recognize the responsibilities that accompany that privilege.
- we believe in the capacity we each have to make a difference in the world.