Resident Director of Campus Safety and WellnessOffice of Student Life
Blackburn College, a unique four-year liberal arts college with a student-managed work program located in Carlinville, IL, seeks applications for a Resident Director (RD) of Campus Safety and Wellness. The Resident Director provides professional support to ensure a safe and inclusive residential experience for Blackburn students, including students within the Blackburn and Beyond program, through this live-on required position. The Resident Director will oversee residential assistants hired through the Work Program and will report to the Director of Housing.
- Engaging and building relationships with students on campus with a focus on neurodiverse students and those experiencing mental health challenges.
- Providing supervision and mentoring to Resident Assistants and participating in Residence Life team meetings and programming models.
- Managing administrative residence hall building duties assigned by the Director of Housing.
- Demonstrating an understanding of student development to assist in successful implementation of multi-faceted social activities that balance high expectations with students’ social efficacy needs.
- Demonstrating awareness and deep understanding of student development and transition needs of students within today’s context while sensitive to the needs of a diverse student community and a pulse on the changing demographic trends in higher education.
- Serving as a trained investigator, conduct hearing board member, and advocate for EEO/Nondiscrimination and Title IX policies.
- Working with various offices and committees on campus to promote and represent campus safety, housing, and wellness within Blackburn’s system of shared governance.
- Assisting the Director of Housing in all planning and collaboration with the Blackburn Work Program. Supervising and assisting student workers hired as residential assistants.
- Sharing on-call expectations on some nights and weekends, rotating with other professional members of the Student Life staff as part of the emergency response team.
We recognize that different candidates will have strengths in different areas, and we are open to candidates with a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred. Experience working with neurodiverse individuals, special education, and/or mental health programs is strongly preferred. Experience or training in using de-escalation techniques, conflict resolution, or other appropriate problem-solving strategies is also strongly preferred. The ideal candidate must hold Mandt certification or be willing to become Mandt certified.
Blackburn College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks to build an inclusive community that can engage the interests of a diverse population. We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and sustaining a culture that reflects the diversity of our country, and as such we particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups such as women, people of color, LGBTQ+, veterans, and those with disabilities.
In order to apply, please send a resume, cover letter including a diversity statement describing what diversity means to you and why it is important, and the names/addresses/phone numbers of three current, professional references to: Marshall Petty, Blackburn College, 700 College Ave., Ludlum 110, Carlinville, IL 62626 or email email@example.com. Employment-based immigration sponsorship is not offered for this position. Phone calls or walk-ins not accepted.