- A full/focused program offering approved middle grades preparation
- Complete a minimum of 200 hours of practical classroom experience prior to student teaching.
- Begin field experiences during freshman year at Blackburn College
- Each successive field experience assignment builds on knowledge and acquired classroom skills
Points of Distinction
Blackburn’s pre-clinical experience takes place the semester before student teaching, ideally, at the same site as the student teaching assignment. This provides students one full academic year under the guidance of a mentor teacher in partner school districts.
Why this Major?
Blackburn students won’t be alone as an education major at Blackburn College – Teacher Education is the second highest major at Blackburn College.
Blackburn College has a rich tradition of developing teachers. We offer teacher certification programs in Elementary Education, Secondary Education: Social Science: History, English, Mathematics, and K-12 programs in Physical Education and Spanish. We believe strongly that effective teacher development must include relevant, hands-on field experience and reflective practice. In Teacher Education at Blackburn, we focus on fulfilling our motto: Learn. Work. Earn.
- Tutoring in area middle schools
- Work as aides in area middle schools through the Community Service department at Blackburn
Clubs & Organizations
- Circle K International – collegiate and university community service, leadership development, and friendship organization.
- Freshmen and Sophomores can apply to become Golden Apple Scholars
Students work in area schools for over 200 hours of field experience and student teaching.
Work Program Opportunities
- Through the Work Program, students gain practical experience with the types of work teachers implement throughout their careers.
- Work closely with faculty, assisting with coursework development and planning.
- Receive individual attention and mentorship from faculty.
Your instructors are easily the best in their fields
Senior – Graphic Design Major
Hot Job Outlooks
- The Education Department at Blackburn College is committed to excellence, and our teacher education programs are accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education.
- An exceptional number of teacher candidates prepared in prior academic years have found teaching jobs in area schools.
- Blackburn student teachers are well-prepared for the edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment). Our graduates have scored an average of 10 points higher than the state’s passing requirement.
Recent alumni have been recognized as Illinois Association of Colleges for Teacher Education’s Outstanding Beginning Teachers
Students have been awarded educational grants from The Alpha Tau Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma International among other grants.
Blackburn’s education classrooms utilize technology found in K-12 school districts, including interactive whiteboards, laptops, and tablets. Blackburn has a curriculum library containing textbooks, novels, and manipulatives to facilitate successful teaching experiences for students.
Blackburn’s education faculty is committed to reflective practice, constructivist teaching, and preparing teacher candidates for a future in education.