- This event has passed.
Blackburn Humanities Salon
September 1, 2022 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
An event every month that begins at 6:00 pm on day First of the month, repeating until December 1, 2022
Historically, a Salon was a gathering of people who came together to exchange and discuss intellectual and artistic ideas of the day. Fancy attire was worn and tea and cakes were served. To honor this tradition and establish a creative community at Blackburn for writers, artists, performers, and lovers of all art, the English & Communications department is launching a monthly Humanities Salon. The Salon will be held on the first Thursday of every month in Jaenke at 6pm and is open to all students, faculty, and staff who want to:
● read their own creative work;
● perform a short musical, theatrical, dance, or any stage act;
● share and discuss an original work of art;
● share any work of art of any medium that you simply love;
● listen and be part of the creative community at Blackburn.
Light catered refreshments will be served and theme costumes or formal attire of all varieties are encouraged but not required.
September 1, 2022: An Evening of Favorites
● For the first Salon of the semester, come and share your favorite poem or passage (original or not), artwork, or piece of music.
October 6, 2022: Celebration of the Spooky and the Queer
● October is the month of Halloween and LGBTQ+ history, so come out of the coffin and share your favorite scary/ghostly/monstrous or fabulously queer work of writing, art, or music.
November 3, 2022: Under the Beaver Moon
● November is the month of the Beaver Moon, when people would set traps for beavers before all retired to their lodges for the winter. Before winter hibernation, come get cozy in front of the fire and share a piece of art that warms your heart.
December 1, 2022: Winter Wonderland Ball
● For the last Salon of the semester, put on your fanciest frock for an evening of elegance and share your most sparkling and chilling winter creations.