Blackburn College Graduation News
Baccalaureate — May 15, 2020 | Commencement — May 16, 2020
Greetings Class of 2020!
If you have not yet informed Dr. Armstrong at email@example.com, that you plan to participate in the Commencement Exercises this May, please do so ASAP!
- Are you planning to graduate this May?
- Are you planning to participate in the Commencement activities?
Here are some things you should keep in mind:
April 6 — Deadline to order caps and gowns
May 15 — 10:00 AM Rehearsal (see below) for Baccalaureate and Commencement, Gym
May 15 — 5:30 Senior Banquet, DCC
May 15 — 7:30 PM Gather in robes in Bothwell’s classroom hallway to line up
May 15 — 8:00 PM Baccalaureate (see below), Bothwell Auditorium
May 16 — 8:00 AM Breakfast for Graduates and Families, DCC
May 16 — 9:30 AM Gather in the chapel on second floor Hudson to robe and line up (Gym in case of rain)
May 16 — 10:30 AM Commencement, Hudson Quad (Gym in case of rain)
There will be a professional photographer at the graduation events taking candids. They will also be taking headshots of all the graduates and photos as you come off the stage after receiving your diploma. They will also have a “group” photo made from the headshots. If you want to order any of them, you can fill out a form at rehearsal (see below) or go to their website. You are NOT required to order photos, but you are required to have your picture taken.
You can order from CD Grad here: www.cbgrad.balfour.com or 1-800-433-0296. Announcements are not required.
Ordering caps and gowns
In order to walk across the stage at Commencement, you will need to have a cap and gown. It is recommended that you order from Herff-Jones (herff.ly/blackburn) before April 6, but you may use another source if you wish. Be aware that if you rent from Herff-Jones, you will need to return the gown. You may keep the cap.
Academic dress is appropriate clothing worn under academic cap and gown with no additional decoration on the gowns, except official pins, cords, medallions, hoods, or stoles from honorary societies and other groups recognized by Blackburn College. [To be recognized by Blackburn College a group must have a faculty or staff sponsor who petitions the College Marshal or the Provost to recognize the group.] All graduating Alpha Chi members who are participating in Baccalaureate/Commencement must wear the Blackburn academic hood (rose-colored). Alpha Chi members: during the week of double instruction periods, please stop by the bookstore in DCC to pick up your hood. For Baccalaureate only, caps are not worn. If caps are decorated, they may not be inappropriate, profane, insulting or offensive.
What happens at Rehearsal, and why is it so important to attend?
At rehearsal we will:
- Hand out information about ordering picture and/or DVD’s.
- Hear important announcements from various campus offices regarding diplomas, events, etc.
- Line you up in the exact order you will march in for Commencement.
- Go over the steps you will follow as you process into the Commencement site with your classmates.
- Practice entering the rows so you will be in the right order to receive your diploma.
- Practice crossing the stage individually so you will know what to expect at Commencement.
- Make sure we have the correct pronunciation of your name so it will be announced correctly as you cross the stage at Commencement.
- Answer questions and concerns you may have.
Clearly, Rehearsal is extremely important, so it is MANDATORY!
What is Baccalaureate and why is it so important?
Baccalaureate is an honored tradition that goes back hundreds of years and has been carried out at colleges around the world. It is a worship service for the Graduates and their friends and families. Faculty, Staff, Trustees and other Dignitaries gather with you, the Graduates, all arrayed in academic regalia (graduation gowns) to honor and finalize your graduation. You will process and sit with your classmates in your graduation gowns. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND. If you have a severe religious objection or an unavoidable conflict, you must contact the College Marshal.
What events are my guests invited to?
- Baccalaureate, Friday, May 15 at 8:00 PM in Bothwell Auditorium. (Guests should arrive early)
- Commencement Breakfast, Saturday, May 16 at 8:00 AM, DCC
- Commencement, Saturday, May 16 at 10:30 AM on the Hudson Quad (or in the Gym in case of rain). Guests should arrive early.