- Complete a minimum of 200 hours of practical classroom experience prior to student teaching.
- Begin field experiences during freshman year at Blackburn College
- Each successive field experience assignment builds on knowledge and acquired classroom skills
Points of Distinction
Blackburn’s pre-clinical experience takes place the semester before
student teaching, ideally, at the same site as the student teaching assignment. This provides students
one full academic year under the guidance of a mentor teacher in partner school districts.
Why this Major?
Blackburn students won’t be alone as an education major at Blackburn College – Teacher Education is the second highest major at Blackburn College. Blackburn College has a rich tradition of developing teachers. We offer teacher certification programs in various areas and disciplines including Elementary Education. We believe strongly that effective teacher development must include relevant, hands-on field experience and reflective practice. In Teacher Education at Blackburn, we focus on fulfilling our motto: Learn. Work. Earn.
- Kids Academy – work with area elementary school students in STEAM (Science, Technology,
Engineering, Arts, and Math)
- College Street Readers – work with area elementary school students to develop reading
comprehension and literacy skills
Activities & Events
- Fine Arts Festival – develop and facilitate a day-long festival focused on the fine arts for area
elementary school students
Clubs & Organizations
- Circle K International – collegiate and university community service, leadership development,
and friendship organization.
- Freshmen and Sophomores can apply to become Golden Apple Scholars
- Students work in area schools for over 200 hours of field experience and student
Work Program Opportunities
- Through the Work Program, students gain practical experience with the types of work teachers
implement throughout their careers.
- Work closely with faculty, assisting with coursework development and planning.
- Receive individual attention and mentorship from faculty.
Hot Job Outlooks
- The Education Department at Blackburn College is committed to excellence, and our teacher
education programs are accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education.
- An exceptional number of teacher candidates prepared in prior academic years have found
teaching jobs in area schools.
- Blackburn student teachers are well-prepared for the edTPA (Teacher Performance
Assessment). Our graduates have scored an average of 10 points higher than the state’s passing
Recent alumni have been recognized as Illinois Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Outstanding Beginning Teachers.
Students have been awarded educational grants from The Alpha Tau Chapter of Delta Kappa
Gamma International among other grants.
Blackburn’s education classrooms utilize technology found in K-12 school districts, including interactive whiteboards, laptops, and tablets. Blackburn has a curriculum library containing textbooks, novels, and manipulatives to facilitate successful teaching experiences for students.
Blackburn’s education faculty is committed to reflective practice, constructivist teaching, and preparing teacher candidates for a future in education.