Blackburn’s Teacher Education Program prepares 10 majors: Elementary Ed (Grades 1 – 6), Middle Grades (Grades 5 – 8) Language Arts, Middle Grades Math, Middle Grades Social Studies, Middle Grades Science, Secondary (Grades 9 – 12) English, Secondary Math, Secondary Social Science – History, K – 12 Foreign Language – Spanish, and K – 12 Physical Education.
The Teacher Education Program provides assistance in preparing for internal and external required tests, and has financial assistance available for qualified candidates.
Points of Distinction
- By the time they graduate, Blackburn students amass over 200 hours of clinical observations and teaching in area schools
- Practical experience with tasks teachers implement in their careers
- Work creating lessons with faculty
- The Teacher Education Program provides assistance in preparing for internal and external required tests, and has financial assistance available for qualified candidates.
- Blackburn teacher candidates master (well above expected cut scores) the final Illinois assessment for licensure, the edTPA.
Why this Major?
- Blackburn teacher candidates obtain employment in their areas of licensure, often before completion of student teaching.
- Illinois and numerous states in close proximity are facing a very real teacher shortage, so there are jobs available for all our graduates.
- Blackburn teacher candidates have a 100% success rate on the EdTPA.
- For more than 10 years, every student who wanted to teach after graduation was able to obtain a job in their specific field