Blackburn offers teacher certification programs in Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Social Science, History, English, Mathematics, K-12 programs in Physical Education and Spanish, Special Education (K-21), and Early Childhood Education.
Faculty members are committed to reflective practice, constructivist teaching, and preparing teacher candidates for a future in education.
Classrooms utilize technology found in K-12 school districts, including interactive whiteboards, laptops, and tablets. Blackburn has a curriculum library containing textbooks, novels, and manipulatives to facilitate successful teaching experiences for students.
Education students complete a minimum of 200 hours of practical classroom experience prior to student teaching. Students begin field experiences during their freshman year at Blackburn College. Each successive field experience assignment builds on knowledge and acquired classroom skills
Students will take courses such as:
- Introduction to Teacher Education
- Diversity in Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education (K-9)
- Foreign Language: Spanish (K-12) Education
- Middle Grades Education
- Physical Education (K-12)
- Secondary English Education (9-12)
- Secondary Mathematics Education (9-12)
- Secondary Science Education: Biology (9-12)
- Secondary Social Science Education: History (9-12)
- Special Education (LBS I)