Work Office - Campus Maintenance Department
Grounds CrewStudent Job - Tuition Position
One Opening Fall 2022
The Grounds Crew provides a number of necessary services to the college community.
The Grounds worker is expected to show up promptly for scheduled work shifts. The worker is to dress appropriately and is required to wear work boots during those shifts. Our work is often dirty, so older clothes are recommended.
Each worker is expected to perform any assigned task in a workmanlike fashion to the best of their ability. It is also important that they clean up after the job, leaving the work site as neat or neater than they found it. Each worker will be held accountable for the quantity and quality of their work.
We supply tools and expect the workers to treat them properly and return them at the end of the shift. We encourage initiative and will try to answer properly any questions about the operation of tools or other equipment. The Grounds worker may be called out for evening and weekend emergencies. Workers should be observant of the campus and bring to the attention of the supervisor work that they see or feel needs to be done. Once a working knowledge is developed, more experienced workers will be expected to help direct and train newer personnel.
Previous experience and/or interest in grounds work is preferred but not required; knowledge of the care and setup of athletic fields and experience with the appropriate equipment is preferred but not required; this position will at times require some lifting.
Essential job functions include:
Care and maintenance of campus grounds
- mowing, trimming, and planting
- policing for litter
- clearing snow and ice from roadways, parking lots, sidewalks and entryways
- raking leaves
- tree removal and trimming
- collecting and disposing of campus trash and recycling materials
- cleaning and maintenance of shop and equipment
- may assist with mechanical repairs
- receiving and distributing college shipments
- moving furniture, supplies, and equipment
Responsible for the care and upkeep of
- athletic fields (i.e. baseball, softball, and soccer) and the preparation, lining, and dragging of the fields for games
- set-ups and tear-downs for campus events
Other general maintenance and grounds duties as assigned
Preference will be given to the following.
- Previous experience and/or interest in grounds work is preferred but not required
- knowledge of the care and setup of athletic fields and experience with the appropriate equipment is preferred but not required
- this position will at times require some lifting.
If you’re interested in this opening, you will need:
- a completed Work Program Application
Submit the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person to the Work Office.
Applications are due no later than Friday, September 16 at 5:00 pm.
Blackburn College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.