Student Job - Tuition Position
Resident AssistantStudent Life
Two Openings | Fall 2023
RAs serve as educators, mentors, and administrators for the Blackburn College community. Resident Assistants are assigned to a floor or a wing in a building, working directly with 15-35 students.
Once selected, a Resident Assistant:
- Serves as an employee in the Work Program for the Student Life Department. RAs are part of the Student Life team and should be committed to student development. Resident Assistants are expected to create and maintain a healthy environment for both academic and personal development of students in a manner consistent with the philosophy of the Student Life and Residence Life Offices.
- Develops a strong residential community that promotes student success and development. Resident Assistants live where they work, providing them with a unique opportunity to share and gather important information. They are often the first person a student approaches with questions or concerns. As such, Resident Assistants are expected to:
- Know their residents “name and story”
- Promote pride and ownership in their housing community
- Implement a Community Engagement plan in consultation with the RD and meet all requirements for events, programming, door decs, bulletin boards, meetings, and any other elements of such a plan
- Be available and accessible to residents for concerns, assistance, and appropriate referrals
- Creates a residential community committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. RAs will lead by example in all areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion in their halls and on campus. RAs will ensure their community is welcoming and open to learning and growth in these important areas by ensuring an inclusive tone is created and appropriate role modeling occurs.
- Ensures a safe, comfortable environment. RAs are expected to be available to their residents, participate in the evening/weekend duty rotation, and provide an overall safe, comfortable living environment. Specifically, RAs:
- Adhere to state and federal laws and college policies, know and explain all policies and procedures.
- Enforce and document all conduct and college violations and participate in judicial matters as needed.
- Encourage group and individual responsibility for the safety and health of all residents.
- Are available for duty during the week and weekends, as assigned and needed. Duty nights and weekends vary by hall, but RAs should expect to be on duty and needed on campus at least 1-3 nights/weekends a week.
- Perform tasks that promote a safe, comfortable environment including but are not limited to verifying fire safety equipment is available, the physical plant is in correct working order, external doors are locked, and doors not propped open.
Full-time student, Cumulative GPA average of 2.5 or higher, lives on campus during the semester of employment, cannot be on social/academic/work probation. Leadership experience is recommended but not required.
- Privileged Parking
- Single Room
- Guaranteed opportunity for 10 tuition hours per week
- Returning Student Work Application (fillable pdf) >
- Diversity Statement
A personal essay depicts your past experiences and explains how these experiences have contributed to your personal and professional growth. It allows the applicant the opportunity to explain to a search committee the distinct qualities and commitment they can bring to the table. Preferably a few paragraphs to one full page.
Submit all requested application items by email to email@example.com or in person to the Work Office.
Applications are due no later than Tuesday, September 19 at 5:00 pm.
Blackburn College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.