Blackburn College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. The Higher Learning Commission has established a clear distinction between individual grievances and complaints that appear to involve broad institutional practices. Where a complaint to the HLC raises issues regarding the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation, the Commission forwards the complaint to the institution and requests a formal response.

  • The Higher Learning Commission, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411

Other Grievance Procedures
A student who has a complaint which falls outside the jurisdiction of the disciplinary system, the harassment policy or academic matters should contact the Director of Residence Life or Dean of Students for guidance in making a written complaint. The Director of Residence Life or Dean of Students will offer mediation as an informal means of resolution. If the student chooses a formal resolution of the matter, the Director of Residence Life or Dean of Students will contact the appropriate hearing board.
Major, written complaints submitted by students to the College President, V.P. for Finance/Administration, Provost, and the Dean of Students must by regulation be recorded and shared with the College’s accrediting commission. The identities of the student making the complaint and any other individuals involved in facts of the complaint will be shielded in order to protect confidentiality.
Participants in Title IV Federal Financial Aid under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, are required to direct students to a state agency for assistance with unresolved complaints. Blackburn College will make available to students or prospective students, upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation and state authorization. Blackburn College also provides its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and the state.
Complaints may be filed with the Illinois Board of Higher Education at IBHE Complaints; accessible through the agency’s homepage at