Students seeking to withdraw from the college must complete an Application to Withdraw Form. Forms are available in the Dean of Students’ Office (DCC Building – Student Life Office) or the Records Office (Ludlum 1st floor). The appropriate withdrawal date will be determined after completing the withdrawal procedure. Tuition, Room, and Board charges will be refunded according to the published schedule, through the fourth week of the term. An administrative fee of $100.00 will be charged for all withdrawals after the first official day of classes. The withdrawal process requires a written signature from several College offices.

Tuition Refund Schedule Fall/Spring
Through the 1st Day of Classes100% Refund
Through the End of the 1st Week of Classes90% Refund
Through the End of the 2nd Week of Classes75% Refund
Through the End of the 3rd Week of Classes50% Refund
Through the End of the 4th Week of Classes25% Refund
For the Summer term, one day of class equals one week for purposes of calculating refunds.

Room and Board will be pro-rated through four weeks for the actual amount of time lived on-campus during the semester. This varies as some students return for work, live in the residence halls and dine on the meal plan prior to the beginning of class attendance.


Policy and Regulation
Federal Financial Aid (Title IV grant or loan funds) recipients who withdraw during the semester will be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Policy prescribed by the United States Department of Education.
Withdrawal Date
The day the student withdraws is the date (determined by the Blackburn Student Life Office):

  • The student completed the withdrawal process; prescribed by Student Life
  • The student otherwise provided the institution with official notification of the intent to withdraw; or
  • For the student who does not complete the withdraw process or notify the institution of the intent to withdraw, the institution will use the standard 50% of the term as the last date of attendance for unofficial withdrawals unless a later date can be documented by the institution based on the last date of attendance at an academically related activity.

Percentage of the Payment Period or Period of Enrollment Completed
This calculation is derived by dividing the number of days the student completed into the total number of actual days in the semester as published in the catalog.
Calculation of Title IV Assistance Earned
Up through the 60% point of time, the percentage of assistance earned is equal to the percentage of the period of enrollment for which it was awarded that was completed as of the day the student withdrew. If the student withdrawal occurs after the 60% point, then the amount earned is 100%.
Order of Return of Title IV Funds
When a student receives more Title IV assistance than the amount earned, the institution, student or both are required to return the unearned funds as required in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans
  2. Subsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loans
  4. Federal Direct PLUS Loans (received on behalf of the student)
  5. Federal PELL Grants
  6. Federal SEOG Grant

Responsibility of the Institution
The institution shall return the lesser of the unearned amount of Title IV assistance or an amount equal to the total institutional charges the student incurs fur the period of enrollment of which the assistance was awarded, multiplied by the unearned percentage of awarded Title IV grant and loan assistance. The institution will return any Title IV assistance that is due to the Title IV programs as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days from the determination of a student’s withdrawal.
The institution will offer a post-withdrawal (PWD) loan disbursement within 30 days of the date the institution determined the student withdrew and issue a post-withdrawal grant disbursement within 45 days of the date the institution determined the student withdrew, if the student has eligibility for Title IV assistance.
If the student did not receive all the funds that they have earned, the student may be due a PWD. If the PWD included loans funds, the student may choose to decline the loan funds so that they do not incur additional debt. The institution may automatically use all or a portion of your PWD (including loan funds, if you accept them for tuition, fees, and room and board charges). For all other institutional charges, the institution needs the student’s permission to use the PWD. If the student does not give permission they will be offered the funds. However, it is in the student’s best interest to allow the institution to keep the funds to reduce their debt at the institution.
Responsibility of the Student
The student shall return unearned Title IV assistance minus the amount the institution returns. The student is also responsible for any balance owed to the institution that is created as a result of the return of funds. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the Financial Aid Office and Business Office prior to withdrawal.
Change of Status: Students seeking to change status from resident student to commuter student must complete a status change application available in the Dean of Students’ Office (DCC Building-Student Life Office). If the student is approved to move off-campus, the appropriate status change date will be determined after completing the status change procedure. Room and Board charges will be refunded on a weekly pro-rated basis through the fourth week. No refunds will be made after the fourth week. The housing deposit is not refundable and will not be applied to other student charges.