Table of Contents

Campus Guidelines & Policies

Campus Guidelines & Policies


Refunds for your textbooks can be issued if the following conditions are met:

  • All returns must be accompanied by the original receipt.
  • New books must be unmarked, unused and in original purchase condition and shrink-wrap in place.
  • Used books must be returned in resalable condition.
  • Books purchased by credit card must be refunded to that card. Books purchased by book slip will be refunded to your account.
  • Damaged books are not accepted.
  • Exchanges will be given for identical merchandise in the case of defects. A receipt is required.

Refunds will be issued for returned merchandise if the following conditions are met:

  • Returns must be made within TWO (2) WEEKS from the date of purchase, and must be accompanied by the original cash register receipt. (Items purchased by credit card must be refunded to that card.)
  • Merchandise must be returned in absolute new condition.
  • Packaged merchandise must be returned in its original packaging.


  • The Bookstore/Mailroom staff will issue each student a mailbox key. All mailbox keys must be returned prior to summer break, or earlier (if a student is departing from Blackburn). There will be a monetary fine if keys are not returned. •
  • Incoming mail and packages should be addressed as follows:
    Blackburn College
    Student’s Name, Box #
    700 College Ave.
    Carlinville, IL 62626
  • If you receive mail or packages too large for your mailbox a package notice slip will be placed in your mailbox.
  • Any package or mail requiring special attention needs to be at the mailroom by 10:00am. We utilize USPS, UPS and Fed-Ex.
  • Because campus offices will use campus mail to inform students about a variety of issues, students are expected to check their campus mailbox regularly (at least once/week).
  • Students should not open mail which is not addressed to them but mistakenly delivered to their campus mailbox. Return the mistakenly delivered mail to the mailroom.


Members of the Blackburn community are encouraged to examine and discuss all questions of interest to them and to express opinions publicly and privately. They should exercise this freedom by the use of orderly means that do not disrupt the regular and essential operation of the College. Student organizations officially registered with the College may invite and hear any speaker of their choosing. It is expected that applicable College Policies and Procedures will be followed in planning special events. These include but are not limited to standards of conduct, scheduling facilities, and pre-event planning. Failure to meet these requirements may result in denial of College funding and facilities. Sponsorship of guest speakers does not imply approval or endorsement of the views expressed, either by the sponsoring group or by the College. The name of the group that is sponsoring the event must appear on all notices of advertisement.

Religious organizations or persons meeting for religious purposes, using campus facilities, campus communications, or otherwise soliciting the support of the campus community, must become an official student organization or receive authorization from the office of the President.

The use of campus facilities by organizations or individuals not directly related to the College is approved and scheduled through Auxiliary Services in the Bookstore. The Conference Services Office determines if College facilities will be made available and, in consultation with the Vice President for Administration and Finance, what the cost will be. Members of the College community who wish to use campus facilities for private/noncollege related activities will be charged a discounted usage fee.

Decisions to make College facilities available are made on the basis of the purpose of the group and/or meeting (i.e., must be consistent with the mission of the College); the convenience or inconvenience caused to staff and regular programs; and the benefits which can be derived by the College. In all instances, the needs of the College take priority.

The College rents and makes facilities available only to non-profit organizations. Exceptions may be made if doing so will be in the best interest of the College.

All events scheduled on campus must be registered with the Auxiliary Services Office in the Campus Bookstore to be placed on the Campus Calendar. This prevents conflicts from occurring. Activities registered on the Campus Calendar have priority over non-registered events. In addition, the College reserves the right to deny funding or facilities for events not on the Campus Calendar.

Students are not authorized to sign contracts on behalf of Blackburn. All individuals or campus organizations who desire to enter into contractual arrangements with outside persons and groups (i.e., for entertainment purposes, etc.) should submit a copy of the contract for verification to authorized officials at least ten days prior to the effective date of the contract.

Blackburn College strictly prohibits the solicitation of our students, faculty and staff for services, goods, donations or trade by unapproved organizations and sales representatives. Solicitors must obtain the appropriate approval from the Vice President for Administration and Finance prior to their visit. All solicitors and unannounced visitors must check-in with Campus Safety & Security.

Fundraising events and raffles must be coordinated to prevent conflicting requests from different areas of the College. There are also specific licensures that are required for certain events. Applications for fundraising and raffle events are available in the Business Office or on the shared drive. Approval from the Office of Institutional Advancement is required.


Blackburn College is committed to ensuring that our students are as free as possible from any threats to their safety or well-being. Fortunately, our rural location affords us the luxury of a relatively low crime rate. In order to anticipate the unexpected, the residence life staff, the campus security force and the students themselves are employed to ensure that students and their possessions are protected as much as possible.

Students, faculty and staff have regular access to all non-residential campus buildings from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. each day. After 10:00 p.m. only those issued keys are authorized to enter buildings. During breaks, the hours of unlock and lock-up may be adjusted by Campus Safety/Security. Physical Plant personnel closely monitor key distribution.

The exterior doors of all Residence Halls are locked 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The residents of each building are assigned an exterior door key to the building they occupy.

Physical Plant staff maintains campus buildings and grounds with a concern for safety and security. Adequate lighting is considered as well as sufficient locks on doors and windows. Prompt response is given to any report of a potential safety or security hazard.

Any disturbance or breach of campus security can be reported by dialing 217-825-3042 for the Campus Community & Safety on-call staff member. Upon receipt of a call, the responsible staff person assesses the situation and either handles it or calls local police to intervene.

Residence life staff and security personnel are trained in security measures. Various law enforcement agencies are consulted for information regarding effective interventions and reporting strategies. In addition, these staff members are trained to enforce College policy. This includes but is not limited to enforcement of laws regulating underage drinking, and use of controlled substances. Drug enforcement teams, including dogs, may be brought unannounced on to the campus.

Blackburn prohibits the unlawful or unauthorized possession, use, or distribution of drugs and alcohol by students and employees on College property or as a part of College activities. Each student and employee will be expected to meet these standards of conduct.

The residence hall staff plans programs on a variety of topics to help educate students on personal safety awareness and security. Information on safety and security is provided through seminars, posters and brochures.

In the event of a campus-wide emergency, students will be informed of the emergency and given instruction via the cell phone numbers students provide to the College and students’ campus email addresses. Automated messages will be sent through a “broadcast” communication system used by the College. Students wishing to review the College’s Emergency Response Manual may do so through the Office of Student Life.

Information regarding crime statistics is available on the College website. Individuals interested in a paper copy of the campus crime statistics can obtain a copy by making a request at the Campus Safety & Security Office (DCC, room #123).

Student persistence rates and graduation rate information can be obtained from the Office of Institutional Research (Ludlum Hall, room #217). Information on financial assistance available to students enrolled at Blackburn can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office (Ludlum Hall, room #119)

All Responsible Employees are Campus Safety Authorities (CSAs) and must report crimes as defined by CLERY, which includes:

Part 1 – Primary Crimes
The willful (non-negligent) killing of one human being by another.

The killing of another person through gross negligence.

An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault usually is accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. Simple assaults are excluded.

Any willful or malicious burning or attempt to burn, with or without intent to defraud, a dwelling house, public building, motor vehicle or aircraft, personal property of another, etc.
Note that only fires determined through investigation to have been willfully or maliciously set are classified as arsons. Arson is therefore the only Clery Act offense that must be investigated before it can be disclosed. If other Clery Act offenses were committed during the arson incident, the most serious is counted in addition to the arson.

The unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft. Attempted forcible entry is included.

The taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.

The theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle. A motor vehicle is self-propelled and runs on the surface and not on rails. Motorboats, construction equipment, airplanes, and farming equipment are specifically excluded from this category.

Sex Offenses
The Clery Act has four defined sex offenses for which crime statistics must be collected on Clery geography. They are: rape, fondling, incest and statutory rape.

The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.

The touching of the private body parts of another person for the purpose of sexual gratification, without the consent of the victim, including instances where the victim is incapable of giving consent because of his/her age and/or because of his/her temporary or permanent mental incapacity.

Non-forcible sexual intercourse between persons who are related to each other within the degrees wherein marriage is prohibited by law.

Non-forcible sexual intercourse with a person who is under the statutory age of consent.

Part 2 – Alcohol, drug and weapon violations
The Clery Act requires institutions collect statistics for violations of state law and or ordinances for drug, alcohol and weapons violations.

The violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting: the manufacture, sale, transporting, furnishing, possessing of intoxicating liquor; maintaining unlawful drinking places; bootlegging; operating a still; furnishing liquor to a minor or intemperate person; using a vehicle for illegal transportation of liquor; drinking on a train or public conveyance; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned. (Drunkenness and driving under the influence are not included in this definition.)

The violation of laws or ordinances dealing with weapon offenses, regulatory in nature, such as: manufacture, sale, or possession of deadly weapons; carrying deadly weapons, concealed or openly; furnishing deadly weapons to minors; aliens possessing deadly weapons; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.

Violations of State and local laws relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing, and making of narcotic drugs. The relevant substances include: Opium or Cocaine and their derivatives (Morphine, Heroin, Codeine); Marijuana; synthetic narcotics (Demerol, Methadone); and dangerous non-narcotic drugs (Barbiturates, Benzedrine).

Part 3 – Hate Crimes
The Clery Act requires institutions collect crime statistics for hates crime associated with either the commission of a primary crime or the lesser offenses of larceny-theft, simple assault, intimidation, destruction of or vandalism of a buildings or property.

A Hate Crime is a criminal offense that manifests evidence that the victim was intentionally selected because of the perpetrator’s bias against the victim.

Under the Clery Act, Hate Crimes include any of the following offenses motivated by bias: Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter, Sexual Assault, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Motor Vehicle Theft, Arson, Larceny-Theft, Simple Assault, Intimidation, Destruction/Damage/Vandalism of Property. Larceny-Theft, Simple Assault, Intimidation, and Destruction/Damage/Vandalism of Property are included in your Clery Act statistics only if they are Hate Crimes

The unlawful taking, carrying, leading, or riding away of property from the possession or constructive possession of another.

Simple Assault
An unlawful physical attack by one person on another where neither the offender displays a weapon, nor the victim suffers obvious severe or aggravated bodily injury involving apparent broken bones, loss of teeth, possible internal injury, severe laceration, or loss of consciousness.

To unlawfully place another person in reasonable fear of bodily harm through the use of threatening words and/or conduct, but without displaying a weapon or subjecting the victim to actual attack. Includes cyberintimidation if victim is threatened on Clery geography.

Destruction, damage or vandalism of property
To willfully or maliciously destroy, damage, deface, or otherwise injure real or personal property without the consent of the owner or the person having custody or control of the property.

Part 4: Violence Against Women Act (2013) Crimes
A felony or misdemeanor crime of violence committed by a current or former spouse or intimate partner of the victim; by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common; by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse or intimate partner; by a person similarly situated to a spouse of the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction in which the crime of violence occurred; or by any other person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person’s acts under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction in which the crime of violence occurred.

Violence committed by a person who is or has been in a social relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the victim. The existence of such a relationship shall be determined based on the reporting party’s statement with consideration of the length of the relationship, the type of relationship, and the frequency of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship.

Engaging in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to (1) fear for the person’s safety or the safety of others; or (2) suffer substantial emotional distress.

Course of conduct means two or more acts, including, but not limited to, acts in which the stalker directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device, or means follows, monitors, observes, surveils, threatens, or communicates to or about, a person, or interferes with a person’s property.

Substantial emotional distress means significant mental suffering or anguish that may, but does not necessarily, require medical or other professional treatment or counseling.

Reasonable person means a reasonable person under similar circumstances and with similar identities to the victim.

On Campus: Any building or property owned or controlled by an institution within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the institution’s educational purposes, including residence halls; and any building or property that is within or reasonably contiguous to this definition, that is owned by the institution but controlled by another person, is frequently used by students, and supports institutional purposes (such as a food or other retail vendor).

Non-Campus Building or Property: Any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution; or any building or property owned or controlled by an institution that is used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes, is frequently used by students, and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.

Public Property: All public property (including thoroughfares, streets, sidewalks, and parking facilities) that is within the campus, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.

Persona non grata (“PNG”) status shall be given to an individual internal or external to the Blackburn College campus who has exhibited behavior that has been deemed harmful to the Blackburn College community and is no longer welcomed on campus or specified campus locations.

The Director of Campus Safety has full authority to execute PNG notices to any person (student or non-student) who poses a safety risk and/or threat to the community. The President, Provost, and Dean of Students also have full authority to execute PNG notices.
Notification of PNG Status:

  • Notification shall occur at the first opportunity by the best means possible and shall include full explanation and meaning of the status. The effective date, purpose of the restriction, code violation, and individual’s descriptive data will be included on the notice.
  • Notification shall, when possible, be acknowledged by the individual’s signature. If not acknowledged by such individual’s signature, the signature of the official implementing the barring notification must appear on the notice. A copy of the notice is provided to the individual.

Violation of PNG Status: If an individual designated as PNG is found/reported on campus in violation of the terms of the restrictions, local law enforcement may be summoned to remove the individual from campus.

Appeal Process:
A written request for appeal to lift an individual’s PNG status shall be made to the office that issued the notice.

  • The written request should come from the barred individual and include reasoning and objectives to reenter the campus community. One request per year may be made to lift the PNG status.
  • Depending on the circumstances, the Director of Campus Safety will collaborate with internal personnel to consider the appeal. The Director will remain in contact, when possible, with the individual during the review process.
  • The PNG status shall remain in effect pending the decision of the review. The Director of Campus Safety shall render a decision within ten working days of receipt of the request for review. Depending on the circumstances and dialogue, the decision timeframe may exceed ten working days. During such time, the Director will continue to remain in contact with the individual during the review.

Records are maintained and regularly updated by the Director of Campus Safety.

  • Individual records will include the following information: (i) name; (ii) date PNG status issued; (iii) status (e.g., suspended student); (iv) rationale; (v) duration; and (vi) documentation provided.
  • Names currently on the PNG list will be flagged (i) “do not hire” in Human Resources; (ii) “do not enroll” in the Office of Admissions; and (iii) in the Alumni database.
  • The following administrators will have standing access to the PNG list: (i) Provost; (ii) Dean of Students; and (iii) Vice President for Institutional Advancement.

Further information about campus safety can be obtained from the Campus Safety Department located in the Student Life Office area of the Demuzio Campus Center or by calling 217-854-5550.


The Business Office is located on the first floor of Ludlum Hall. Normal business hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday but are subject to change.

The Business Office is responsible for the overall financial management of the College and provides the following services: student account billing and collection, budget, purchasing, and accounts payable.

Blackburn College is a not-for-profit corporation that is dependent on the tuition and fees that are generated by student enrollment to meet its educational objectives. Therefore, the College must enforce the following financial policies.

Upon registration, students are considered financially responsible for all tuition and related fees. Tuition and fees are assessed on a semester basis. A summarized student statement is issued prior to the beginning of each semester and is available via student portals.

When to make payments: Payment in full is due prior to move-in day for the Fall and Spring semesters, and prior to the first day of class for the Summer semester. Students will not be allowed to take possession of their keys until their account is paid in full or payment arrangements have been made with the Business Office.

Where to make payments: Payments may be made at the Business Office, mailed to Blackburn College, c/o Business Office, 700 College Ave, Carlinville, IL 62626, or made via phone by calling (217) 854-5515. Payments can be made by cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, or Discover.

Payment Plans: Payment plans are available and require a 25% deposit on or before move-in day, and must include satisfactory arrangements for the remaining balance. A Payment Plan Form must be filed with the Business Office. If financial aid will be paying a portion of the balance, arrangements to pay the remainder must be made in the same manner.

Delinquent payments: Holds will be placed on accounts that are past due. Students on hold will not be allowed to register for the next semester, receive transcripts or diplomas, or receive money on books returned to the Bookstore. Students on hold will not be allowed to move into a residence hall. Students who become delinquent on payments may also be withdrawn from all courses during the academic period and removed from the residence halls. In addition, services such as check cashing and dining services may be denied until arrangements have been made with the Business Office to pay the debt. In the event of default in any amount due, and if the account is placed in the hands of an agency or attorney for collection or legal action, the student agrees to pay an additional charge equal to the cost of collection including agency and attorney fees and court costs.

1098Ts will be provided to students by January 31 of the following year as required by IRS regulations. They will be mailed to the student address on file with the Records Office. A form must be completed in the Records Office to change the student’s address.

All new students must pay a $150.00 Tuition Deposit prior to course registration each semester. The deposit is applied toward tuition charges for the following semester of attendance. Students with appropriate financial need may seek a waiver from the Financial Aid Office.

Credit balances that result from financial aid funds are processed after the student’s attendance is confirmed, the financial aid funds are received, and all institutional charges are satisfied. The Business Office will issue a check for the excess funds to the student or to the parent if there is a PLUS loan. A form can be completed in the Business Office allowing a student to apply excess funds to the following semester rather than receiving a check. If the student receives a credit balance check and subsequently ceases class attendance, they will be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Policy and must return and/or repay any unearned portions of financial aid that they received toward their educational expenses.

Students are considered financially responsible for all institutional charges. It is also the responsibility of students to officially withdraw by completion of the appropriate form, with approvals, and returning the completed form to the Student Life Office, located in Demuzio Campus Center. Failure to attend class does not constitute official withdrawal and does not remove financial or academic responsibility nor qualify students for refunds. Students must follow the official withdrawal procedure to be eligible for a tuition refund. The appropriate withdrawal date will be determined after completing the withdrawal procedure. Tuition, Room, and Board charges will be refunded on a weekly pro-rated basis through the fourth week for Fall and Spring semesters according to the schedule below. No refunds will be made after the fourth week for Fall and Spring semesters. For the purpose of calculating refunds for Summer semester, one day of class equals one week. The withdrawal process requires a written signature from several college offices.

Students seeking to change status from resident student to commuter student must complete a status change application available in the Student Life Office in DCC. If the student is approved to move off campus, the appropriate status change date will be determined after completing the status change procedure.

Beginning with the first day of classes, an administrative fee of $100.00 may be charged for withdrawals.

Tuition, Room, and Board Refund Schedule Fall/Spring Term
Through the 1st day of classes 100% refund
Through the end of the 1st week of classes 90% refund
Through the end of the 2nd week of classes 75% refund
Through the end of the 3rd week of classes 50% refund
Through the end of the 4th week of classes 25% refund

Financial Aid recipients who withdraw before completing at least 60% of the semester will be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Policy prescribed by the United States Department of Education. The number of calendar days attended is divided by the total number of calendar days in the semester, excluding certain breaks. The official withdrawal date is used for the calculation. In the case of unofficial withdrawals, the mid-point of the semester is used unless a later date can be documented. The student is responsible for any balance that is created as a result of a return of funds. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the Financial Aid Office and the Business Office prior to withdrawal.


This policy applies to students with disabilities as defined by Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”). A person is disabled if they:

  • Have a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person’s major life activities;
  • Have a record of such impairment; or
  • Are regarded as having such impairment.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) of 1990 prohibits discrimination solely on the basis of disability in education, employment, public services, and accommodations. The person must be otherwise qualified for the program, service, or job. The ADA details administrative requirements, complaint procedures, and the consequences for non-compliance related to both services and employment. The ADA requires provision of reasonable, effective accommodations for eligible students across educational activities and settings.

Faculty, instructors, graduate assistants, and staff must respect the privacy of students by maintaining strict confidentiality of their knowledge that a student has a disability. Faculty must interact with a student in a way that does not bring to the attention of the other students that the person has a disability or that they are receiving accommodations. For example, modifications of testing procedures should be arranged with the student and carried out in a way that is not brought to the attention of the other students. Students have the right to disclose the nature of their disability to faculty; however, faculty do not have the right to ask. The Academic Accommodation Letter presented by the student from the Director of the Student Success Center will indicate the accommodations that are appropriate to the documented functional limitations that are related to the student’s disability

Blackburn College shall, upon request, consider accommodations for students who have been determined to have a disability. An accommodation is defined by this policy as any reasonable adjustment to minimize the potential negative impact for a student’s disability as required by Federal regulations.

Blackburn’s Student Wellbeing Coordinator serves as the primary contact for students requesting accommodations related to a disability; the Director of Human Resources is the College’s ADA compliance officer. Students requesting an accommodation may need to present to relevant, verifiable, professional documentation or assessment reports confirming the existence of a disability as defined by the ADA, and meet with the Student Wellbeing Coordinator in order to confirm the disability as defined by the ADA claim and to assist College officials in determining what accommodations may be warranted. The Student Wellbeing Coordinator will use all available documentation to determine what if any accommodations are appropriate for each individual situation. Information regarding a student’s disability will be treated in a confidential manner in accordance with Blackburn College policies as well as applicable federal and state law.

After a disability as defined by the ADA has been confirmed, the Student Wellbeing Coordinator will notify the student of approved appropriate accommodations. The student will need to notify and coordinate with appropriate college staff and faculty on implementation of accommodations.

The student should follow the following process for accommodations:

  • The student will deliver the letter describing the recommended accommodations to (and conferring with) the individuals involved in determining the implementation of a recommended accommodation.
  • When necessary, the student may request the Student Wellbeing Coordinator contact those individuals involved in determining the implementation of recommended accommodations.
  • If an approved accommodation is not provided or followed as outlined by the Provost, the Vice President for Administration and Finance, or the Work Program, the student shall report the matter to the Director of the SSC within fifteen business days of receiving the accommodation letter.

Participation in the Accommodations program is completely voluntary and no student may be forced to participate.

Students have the right to decline any accommodation afforded to them, however, Blackburn College is not liable for any associated consequences should a student be afforded an accommodation and refuse to use it. Accommodation requests are not retroactive.

If a student has followed the procedures identified in this policy and does not agree with the determination of disability as defined by the ADA and/or the recommended accommodation they may file a grievance by using the grievance procedures listed in this handbook.


  • All complaints regarding academic accommodations should be filed with the Provost, and all complaints regarding non-academic accommodations should be filed with the Dean of Students, in writing, within fifteen (15) business days of the alleged violation.
  • The written complaint should briefly describe the alleged violation.
  • An investigation shall be conducted by the Dean of Students or Provost. This process will provide an opportunity for the complainant to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
  • A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution shall be issued by the Dean of Students or Provost no later than fifteen (15) working days after its filing.
  • Appeals may be made to the President. The decision will be final.

A student who has a complaint which falls outside the jurisdiction of the disciplinary system, the harassment policy or academic matters should contact the Dean of Students for guidance in making a written complaint. The Dean of Students will offer mediation as an informal means of resolution. If the student chooses a formal resolution of the matter, the Dean of Students will contact the appropriate hearing board.

Major, written complaints submitted by students to the College President, Vice President for Finance and Administration, Provost, and the Dean of Students must by regulation be recorded and shared with the College’s accrediting commission. The identities of the student making the complaint and any other individuals involved in facts of the complaint will be shielded in order to protect confidentiality.

The Campus Conduct Hotline© is an independent, confidential service designed for reporting anonymous concerns about possible violations of Blackburn’s Conduct Code and employment policies. The Campus Conduct Hotline© system is available 24-hours per day, seven days per week. Call toll-free 866-943-5787


Emotional Support Animals: (“ESAs”) are a category of animals that may provide necessary emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability that alleviates one or more identified symptoms of an individual’s disability, but which are not considered Service Animals under the ADA.

Blackburn College does not permit students to have pets in the residence halls. Blackburn provides reasonable accommodations to students who have a documented disability. An ESA may be permitted to reside with their owner in the student’s on-campus residence if:

  • An ESA is prescribed by a mental health professional with whom the student has an established and ongoing relationship who provides details of how an ESA is an integral part of the student’s treatment plan. However, Blackburn will not permit an ESA in the residence halls that poses a threat to the health or safety of others; would cause substantial physical damage to College property or to property of others; or results in a fundamental alteration of the College’s residence life program.
  • The student has provided adequate documentation of disability as defined by the ADA to Disability Services (i.e., the Director of the SSC). Blackburn has the right to request additional clarification or documentation of disability.
  • The student has reviewed the ESA Policy, completed necessary forms, and been given final approval notice from the Director of the SSC via their student email account.

If an ESA is approved:

  • The student will receive a letter from disability services indicating such approval.
  • The letter will be additionally sent to the Director of Inclusive Housing.


  • Emotional Support Animal (“ESA”): “Emotional Support Animals or ESAs” are a category of animals that may provide necessary emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability that alleviates one or more identified symptoms of an individual’s disability, but which are not considered Service Animals under the ADA. Some ESAs are professionally trained, but in other cases ESAs provide the necessary support to individuals with disabilities without any formal training or certification. Dogs are commonly used as ESAs, but any animal has the potential to serve a person with a disability as an ESA.
  • Owner: The “Owner” is the individual who has requested the accommodation and has received approval to bring an ESA into College Housing.

The College encourages students and their treatment providers to explore all other suitable reasonable accommodations other than having an ESA reside with the owner in a residence hall. In the case of a larger animal, please consider the needs of the animal in relation to the size of the living space.

Each request will be reviewed on an individual basis. An ESA will be approved only in those instances in which the owner clearly demonstrates the ESA is necessary to provide the student with a meaningful and equitable opportunity to use and enjoy the residence hall, and there is an identifiable relationship or nexus between the documented disability and the support the animal provides.

In no case will ESAs be permitted in College housing without the prior written authorization from the Student Wellbeing Coordinator following the determination of a reasonable accommodation in accordance with the ADA. ESAs are only allowed within a student’s residence and if on leash or crated, the common area of the owner’s home floor. ESAs are not permitted in study areas of College housing, other floors within the owner’s home residence hall, dining halls or in academic or administrative buildings.

In all cases, the owner of the ESA is fully responsible for the animal’s behavior. The removal of any animal, as well as any necessary cleaning, repairs and/or pest control will be done at the expense of the owner who may also be subject to student disciplinary action. Owners are responsible for any damage or injuries caused by their animals and must take appropriate precautions to prevent property damage or injury. The cost of care, arrangements and responsibilities for the well-being of an ESA are the sole responsibility of the owner at all times.

The College strongly recommends that owners consult with their insurance carrier regarding potential liability and insurance to cover such risks.

Service Animals: A service animal is any dog (or, in some cases, a miniature horse) that is trained, or in training, to do work for the benefit of a person with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Students can initiate the interactive process by self-disclosing their disability to the Student Success Director. From there, a reasonable accommodation will be made in accordance with the ADA.

Types of service animals include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • Guide Dogs: carefully trained dogs who serve as a travel tool by persons with severe visual impairments
  • Hearing Dogs: dogs who have been trained to alert a person with significant hearing loss when a sound (such as a knock on the door) occurs
  • Service or Assistance Dogs: dogs that have been trained to assist a person who has a mobility or health impairment by carrying, fetching, opening doors, ringing doorbells, activating elevator buttons or steadying a person while walking
  • Seizure Alert/Response Dogs: dogs trained to assist a person with a seizure disorder. The dog may stand guard over the person during the seizure, indicate to their handler in advance of a seizure, or the dog may go for help.
  • Psychiatric Service Dogs: dogs trained in helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors
  • Miniature horses trained as a service animal. Note: The use of a miniature horse may be required as a reasonable accommodation if the horse has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. In order to determine whether a reasonable accommodation can be made to allow a miniature horse, we must consider the following factors: (1) the horse’s type, size, and weight and whether the facility can accommodate these features, (2) whether the handler has sufficient control, (3) whether the horse is housebroken, and (4) whether the presence of the horse compromises legitimate safety requirements that are necessary for safe operation.

A requesting individual must have a disability as defined by the ADA, and the work that the animal has been trained to do must be directly related to the person’s disability. Service animals are not “pets.” Animals that only provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as a service animal. However, it is important to note that a service animal can be trained to assist persons with psychiatric disabilities. For example, a dog can be specifically trained to sense an oncoming panic attack and put its paws on the person’s shoulders helping them implement certain strategies to eliminate or lessen the panic attack.

Generally, no inquiries will be made when it is readily apparent that the animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. However, when it is not readily apparent, staff and faculty may ask two questions: (1) is the service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

If you utilize a service animal and would like to bring it on campus, please contact the Office of Disability Services and speak with the Director of Student Success. The Director will need to set up a brief appointment with you to collect some information about your animal (such as vaccination records) and go over the rights and responsibilities regarding service animals on campus.

Rights & Responsibilities of Students with Service Animals:
Students, faculty, and staff with service animals have the following rights on Blackburn’s campus:

  • The right to have their service animal present for any events or activities on campus, including classes, work, meals, living in the residence halls, and at special events, EXCEPT in restricted areas (see below).
  • The right for other members of the campus community (including students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors) to refrain from approaching, touching, or feeding their service animal without asking for and receiving permission from the animal’s handler. As a general rule, if an animal is wearing a vest or badge denoting it as a service animal, the animal is working and should NOT be approached, petted, or otherwise interacted with unless the owner/handler gives explicit permission. However, please be aware that it is not required that a service animal wear a vest or patch identifying the animal as a service animal.
  • The right for other members of the campus community (including students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors) to refrain from deliberately startling or distracting the service animal OR attempting to separate the animal from the student or handler.

Restricted Areas:
Blackburn College may prohibit the use of service animals in certain locations, on a case-by-case basis, because of health and safety restrictions (e.g., when the animal’s presence could present a health or safety risk, or activities that take place in the area could put the service animal in danger). Restricted areas may include, but are not limited to: laboratories, vivariums, custodial closets, boiler rooms, facility equipment rooms, wood and metal shops, and rooms with heavy machinery or ongoing construction.

All students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the College who utilize a service animal and believe they will need to access a restricted area must first request access by contacting the Disability Services office (for students and visitors) or Human Resources office (for faculty and staff). Requests should be made as far in advance as possible to allow adequate time for review of the request through an interactive process with the requester and for consultation with relevant College officials in order to ensure the safety of the animal and/or others using the restricted area.

Students, faculty, and staff with service animals have the following responsibilities on Blackburn’s campus. Failure to fulfill any of these responsibilities may result in the animal being removed from campus until such time as these responsibilities can be fulfilled by the owner or handler of the animal.

  • The owner/handler is responsible for the overall health and well-being of the animal, including all costs associated with the animal’s care, living arrangements, and any property damage caused by the animal.
  • Service animals on campus must:
    • be current on all vaccinations;
    • wear an owner identification tag at all times;
    • be housebroken;
    • be licensed per local laws and ordinances;
    • be in good health;
    • be under the full control of the owner/handler at all times.
  • The owner/handler is responsible for cleaning up the service animal’s waste, unless the individual’s disability prevents them from being physically able to clean up the animal’s waste.
  • Service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
  • If a service animal is behaving out of the owner’s or handler’s control (i.e. jumping on, barking/growling at, or sniffing others), the animal may be removed until such time as the owner/handler is able to maintain control over the animal. (An isolated bark or a bark in response to provocation will not result in an animal being regarded as out of the owner or handler’s control.) This policy is for the protection of the service animal as well as the protection of other members of the campus community and of the learning environment.

Rights & Responsibilities of all Blackburn Students, Faculty, and Staff (with respect to service animals):
Students, faculty, and staff have the following rights on campus with regard to service animals:

  • The right to not be jumped on, growled/barked at, or distracted by the behavior of a service animal (note that this right involves the animal’s behavior – not simply their presence).
  • The right to politely ask an animal’s handler to better control the animal’s behavior, if the animal is behaving in an uncontrolled or boisterous manner.
  • The right to share any concerns about a service animal’s behavior with Disability Services.

Students, faculty, and staff have the following responsibilities on campus with regard to service animals:

  • The responsibility to recognize that a service animal is a working animal, not a pet.
  • The responsibility to refrain from approaching, touching, or feeding a service animal without asking for and receiving permission from the animal’s handler. As a general rule, if an animal is wearing a vest or badge denoting it as a service animal, the animal is working and should NOT be approached, petted, or otherwise interacted with unless the owner/handler gives explicit permission. However, please be aware that it is not required that a service animal wear a vest or patch identifying the animal as a service animal.
  • The responsibility to refrain from deliberately startling or distracting the service animal, or attempting to separate the animal from the student or handler.
  • Failure to adhere to these responsibilities may result in disciplinary action.

Conflicting Disabilities: Some people may have allergic reactions to animals that may qualify as disabilities. Blackburn College will consider the needs of all persons in meeting its obligations to reasonably accommodate all disabilities and to resolve the problem as efficiently and expeditiously as possible. Students, faculty and staff requesting allergy accommodations should contact Disability Services.


Definition: A domestic animal, such as a dog, cat, has been tamed and kept by humans as a pet, and which does not qualify as a service or support animal.

Blackburn College welcomes neighborhood community members and their pets as long as the animals are properly restrained. However, visiting pets are not allowed in any building on the college campus. The owner must clean up all animal waste and may be asked to remove the animal from campus property if it is disruptive (e.g. barking, wandering, or displaying aggressive behavior), ill, or unsanitary.

Failure to comply with the Animal Policy and/or related requests of the Student Life Staff, may result in a fine, conduct action, or additional action deemed necessary by the College. Any violation of the above rules may result in the immediate removal of the animal from the College, pending disciplinary action.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 is a federal law that gives students certain rights with respect to their education records. The following constitutes the College’s policy regarding FERPA.

The rights provided to students are as follows:

  • The right to inspect and review their education records;
  • The right to control disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in their education records;
  • The right to request amendments to their education records to correct inaccurate or misleading information;
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education if the College violates FERPA regulations.

Education Records are defined as follows:

  • Education Department:
    • teacher certification records
  • Financial Aid Office:
    • financial aid records
  • Public Relations Office:
    • student media release forms
    • P.R. information
  • Records Office:
    • academic transcript
    • registration information
    • application for admission
    • high school transcript
    • college transfer
    • test scores
    • work evaluations
    • letters of recommendation
    • activities lists
    • general correspondence
  • Student Life Office:
    • disciplinary records
    • immunization records
  • Work Office:
    • work records

Records are not maintained in a central location on campus. Requests to review them must be made separately, in writing, to each office that maintains them. Written requests must be given with reasonable advance notice (at least 48 hours). A fee (ten cents per page) is charged for reproducing copies of records. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act grants offices forty-five days to honor requests to view and copy such information.

The following records are exempt from FERPA regulations and may not be viewed by students:

  • personal notes of faculty and staff;
  • medical and counseling records used solely for treatment;
  • financial records of parents;
  • confidential letters and statements of recommendations placed in student files prior to January 1, 1975;
  • confidential statements of recommendation of admission, employment or honorary recognition placed in student files after January 1, 1975, for which the right to inspect and review has been waived by the student.

The College routinely releases the following directory information when requested:

  • student name;
  • dates of attendance;
  • major field of study;
  • classification by year;
  • degrees, honors, awards, certificates earned
  • photograph;
  • address (home, local & campus);
  • telephone number (home, local & campus);
  • campus email addresses;
  • athletic rosters (name, weight and height);
  • participation in co-curricular activities;
  • work program participation.

Directory information will be released unless the student files the appropriate form prohibiting the release of information to the public. That form is the “Student Information Sheet” and is available in the Records Office. Other student information except directory information as noted above will not be released without prior written consent of the student.

Release of Information to School Officials. The law permits school officials (defined as any person who is a trustee, officer, agent or employee of Blackburn College—also included are students serving on college committees where legitimate “need to know” exists) to use information contained in the students’ educational records for internal use, and under certain circumstances to provide it to others, including the use of this information in the event of an emergency. This information will not, however, be used in the College Directory, in public releases or be made available to the public without consent of the student.

Release of Information to Third Parties. Normally, education records, other than directory information, will not be released without the prior written consent of the student. However, education record information may be released, without consent, under the following circumstances:

  • to faculty and staff with a legitimate educational “need to know” (“Legitimate educational interest” or “need to know” means the information or records requested is relevant and necessary to complete an assigned task and the task is an employment responsibility for the requestor or is properly assigned subject matter for the requestor’s employment or committee responsibility.);
  • in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order;
  • to representatives of agencies or organizations from which students have received financial assistance;
  • to others specifically exempted from prior consent requirements of the act (including certain federal and state officials, organizations conducting student surveys on behalf of the College, accrediting organizations, etc.);
  • to parents of dependent students, as determined by the Financial Aid Office according to the Internal Revenue Code of 1954;
  • to the United States Office of Immigration and Naturalization Service (for international students only);
  • in emergencies where the information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or others.

Release of Information to Parents. Blackburn College recognizes the importance of support and interest of parents and families of students in all areas of the College program. Students are encouraged to share information about their experiences and programs with their families. A large part of the educational process of college is learning to be independent and solve one’s own problems. Therefore, College personnel will focus on working through problems with students. However, information (as designated on the student information sheet collected each semester by the Records Office) regarding student status and progress may be shared with the parents of dependent students under the following policies. Exceptions may be made in unusual circumstances upon request of the student and approval of the Dean of Students. The College does reserve the right to contact parent(s)/guardian(s) of dependent students who are experiencing difficulty with satisfactory academic or work program progress or difficulty with the Student Conduct Code and/or campus disciplinary system.

The College supports and follows the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of the United States, which protects students from indiscriminate use of student records. The act permits, but does not require provision of information to parents of dependent students. Examples of information that may be released include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Grades: Copies of end-of-term grades may be sent to parents, guardians, next-of-kin, or other persons designated by the dependent student. Address changes should be reported to the Records Office.
  • Withdrawal: Student status is part of Directory Information which, under FERPA, is public information. Included is information about whether a student has been, is, or is expected to be enrolled. Parents of dependent students leaving school, including those approved for leaves of absence may be notified.
  • Emergencies: Parents, guardians, or other persons indicated in student records will be notified in cases of emergencies. The Student Life Staff shall determine whether an emergency exists and if notification is necessary.
  • Violations of College Regulations: Parents may be contacted in cases where a student has violated regulations and parental knowledge is deemed appropriate by the Student Life Staff or required by written policy. For purposes of clarification the only students with Independent Student Status are those deemed so by the Financial Aid Office based upon their legal tax status.

Students may challenge information in their files by filing a written request with the Student Life Office. The decision of the appropriate college official overseeing the file is final, but the student always has the opportunity to place a letter of protest in the file.


Several meal options/times are offered each weekday via Dining Services, including breakfast, lunch with soup/salad/deli, and dinner. Brunch and dinner are served on weekends. Special programs and banquet times may necessitate a change in regular mealtime serving hours.

Students may only enter the dining hall through the main door.

The Food Service Director is available to assist in planning for special occasions (luncheons, teas, dorm events, etc.). For best results, they should be contacted at the beginning of the planning process.

Special dietary needs will be met if ordered by a medical doctor. Students should contact the Director of Student Success (who oversees disability services) to review any special dietary needs. Vegetarian selections will be available at each meal.


  • Students are required to present their own valid Blackburn Identification Cards.
  • Proper attire, which includes shoes and shirts, must be worn in the Dining Hall at all times.
  • No food or Food Service property may be carried out of the Dining Hall without special permission from the Point of Sales Clerk or Food Service Director. Violations may result in revoked privileges and/or disciplinary action.
  • Classes, work groups, sports teams, and co-curricular clubs who have need to meet during a meal period should reserve a room in the Auxiliary Dining Rooms or other campus meeting areas.
  • All students and guests are required to clear their table and deposit their table wear in the proper location before leaving the dining hall. Students are also responsible for reasonable upkeep of the tables, chairs and floors. In addition, the throwing of food is strictly forbidden – no exceptions. Any student(s) found throwing food or neglecting to bus their own table will be subject to disciplinary action and must assist in cleaning the area.


  • Students who are ill and unable to attend meals should ask a roommate or friend to obtain a meal from the Point of Sales Clerk.
  • Arrangements to obtain a sack lunch because of off-campus College sponsored activities (including Internships or Student Teaching) may be made by contacting the Snack Bar Manager two days in advance.
  • Groups or persons wishing to reserve the Auxiliary Dining Rooms in the Campus Center should contact the Food Service Director (in addition to Auxiliary Services for the Campus Calendar) in advance of the planned date. Campus groups will be given priority over off-campus groups. Catering services available include cafeteria, buffet and table service. Reservations for all activities planned for the Dining Hall (dances, plays, musical events, etc.) must be approved in advance by the Food Service Director and Conference Services. Groups using an Auxiliary Dining Room will be expected to clean the area after use; a cleaning fee will be assessed upon failure to do so.


Anyone wishing to request usage of a gender identifier and/or preferred first name may meet with the Executive Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for assistance in navigating the process within the College.

Since the College database system does not currently allow for an automatic change of gender identifiers or preferred first names, the College therefore cannot ensure that a gender identifier or preferred first name will be used at all times. However, the designated officials will inform only those that need to know of the request to use the gender identifier and/or preferred first name instead. Those that need to know generally include faculty and professional staff members where a legal name is the only documented name for an individual on their roster.


Legal names must appear on some documents, including but not limited to: hiring paperwork, paychecks, accounts payable checks, student billing, financial aid forms, tax forms, official College transcripts, official diplomas, and any other documents required by law. Legal names can only be changed on these records when students pursue a legal name change with their home state and/or federal authorities and then submit that documentation to the College Registrar.

Although legal names must currently be used when required, members of the gender nonconforming and transgender community can request their gender identifier and/or preferred first name to be substituted on other documents and rosters intended for everyday use. These documents may include a college directory of names, housing roster, Work Program roster, classroom roster, student ID card, and other requested directories of information when not in violation of state or federal laws.


Blackburn College reserves the right to photograph and film students, faculty, staff, and visitors on campus. Such photography is limited to non-commercial purposes representing Blackburn College. Expected uses include, but are not limited to, media (digital, newspaper, television) coverage and officially recognized College-published materials such as brochures, slide shows, videotapes, displays, websites, and social media accounts. Students participating in planned photo or video shoot events will be asked to sign a release form for that specific project.

Blackburn College reserves the right to celebrate, promote, and communicate achievement for students, faculty, staff, and other members of the Blackburn community. Examples include but are not limited to, press releases about awards and honors received, feature articles on the website, or alumni publications.

Opting Out: New students will complete a Media & Photo Release Form for the Office of Marketing & Public Relations (OMPR) during check-in at the beginning of a semester, where they can opt in or out of photography or press. Students can update their choice by requesting a new form from OMPR.


In the event of sickness or accident, students are advised to contact the Student Life Office as quickly as possible for assistance in receiving proper medical attention. Carlinville Area Hospital is two miles from campus, and there are several physicians’ offices in town.

Students are required by Illinois State law to complete and return an immunization record. Immunization records are requested prior to moving into campus housing and the first day of classes. An extension may be granted no longer than the end of the second week of classes. Students who fail to submit immunization records will be restricted from course enrollment and moving into campus housing.

Students are encouraged to have medical files on record with a physician in the Carlinville area. Students experiencing illness are encouraged to contact a local physician for treatment. Students are responsible for any medical services not covered under the sickness/accident insurance described below.

The College does not require students to acquire or maintain health insurance with the exception of student athletes. Each student athlete must have health insurance coverage during the weeks of their practice and playing season. The College encourages and recommends that students obtain health insurance coverage. The College assumes no liability for medical or other health care costs incurred by students for any illness, injury, intercollegiate or intramural athletic injury, and death resulting from whatever cause, except as otherwise provided by law or College policies.

Students who receive an injury during the course of their work program job on campus must contact their supervisor immediately. Claims to worker’s compensation should be made within 24 hours of the injury by contacting the Physical Plant Services Coordinator at campus extension 5503 or 217-854- 5503.

A Resident Director or Resident Assistant should be contacted when students need travel assistance for medical needs. Please allow at least 24 hours notification.


  • When an authorized professional staff member has reasonable cause to believe that a student is undergoing severe emotional problems, and when the student’s continued presence on campus would present danger to themselves or others, the staff member may direct the student to consult with Counseling Services for administrative referral.
  • Those professional staff members authorized to make Administrative Referrals are the President, the Dean of Students, and the College Counselor.
  • Depending on the severity of the behavior, evaluation by area mental health professionals may be needed for hospitalization.
  • In consultation with the College Counselor, the Dean of Students will determine if a duty to warn exists.
  • Less severe behavior may be treated short-term on campus by the College Counselor at no cost to the student. Long-term treatment, including psychiatric assessment and care, will be referred off-campus with the assistance of the College Counselor. In this case the student or the student’s parents/guardians are responsible for costs of treatment. Refusal to seek treatment both on or off campus must be documented, and submitted to the Dean of Students.
  • Students who are removed from campus for a psychological emergency are required to meet with the Dean of Students or designee within one business day of returning to campus. This meeting will determine the student’s impact on the College community and the student’s ability to continue to be a non-disruptive influence in the community. Disciplinary conditions designed to enhance the student’s opportunity to succeed at Blackburn and/or ameliorate disruptive influence may be placed upon a student prior to their return to the College.
  • Continuing recurrences of disruptive behavior (including behavior attributed to psychological problems) that have an injurious or disruptive effect on the ability of other students to further their education and/or the operation of the College will be processed through the College disciplinary system. In such situations, students will be given the option to withdraw as outlined in the section below, prior to initiating disciplinary procedures. Failure to modify behavior may result in suspension or expulsion from the College.

The College Counselor may recommend that a student withdraw from all of their courses due to a medical condition or psychological issue. The College Counselor will recommend upon withdrawal that the student seek medical, psychological and/or substance abuse treatment. A medical withdrawal does not release a student from outstanding financial obligations. Prior to the medical withdrawal either the College Counselor shall notify the student of all financial obligations or, if the student is able, they can personally collect that information from the Director of Financial Aid and/or Controller. Upon agreement to medically withdraw, the College Counselor and the student shall agree upon the treatment they are to seek, and the terms to be met prior to re-admission to the College. The student shall sign all necessary release of information forms so that the College Counselor may communicate with any or all treatment providers to ensure the student’s compliance with treatment recommendations. If the student is not compliant with treatment recommendations, the student shall not be granted re-admission. The determination of compliance will be made by the College Counselor. It is expected that the student use whatever time is necessary (which often may be a full semester or more away from the College) to regain their medical and psychological health in order to be successful at the College. The College Counselor and the Dean of Students shall agree to a calendar upon which a student may medically withdraw and not compromise the academic integrity of the College, but the student shall not be granted the option of a Medical Withdrawal after the last regular class day of the semester. Upon medical withdrawal, the student shall receive a “W” or “WP” in all course work (depending on the time of the semester). The College Counselor shall notify the Dean of Students, the Registrar, Director of Financial Aid and the Dean of Work of the effective date of the withdrawal. Appeals of decisions made by the College Counselor in matters of medical withdrawal and re-admission shall be heard by the Dean of Students.


All students may have motor vehicles at their disposal while in attendance at the College.

The College does not, under any circumstances, assume any liability for students as riders or operators of motor vehicles. Neither does the College assume any responsibility for any damage to motor vehicles parked or stored on the campus.

All students operating motor vehicles must have a valid driver’s license and must have proper insurance coverage on the motor vehicles they operate.

Students are not permitted to transport other students on College business in any student-owned vehicle prior to completing the appropriate paperwork in the Motor pool office.

If a student fails to follow regulations in effect at the College, violates state or local motor vehicle laws, or operates a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner, the privilege to keep and operate a vehicle on campus may be revoked.

Each student intending to park a motor vehicle on campus must register the motor vehicle within 72 hours of bringing the vehicle to campus. Register with the office of Campus Community & Safety within Student Life. Information on vehicle parking and storage procedures is issued when the motor vehicle is registered.

The enforcement of the College’s motor vehicle regulations rests with the Motor Pool Office and Campus Security. These regulations do not relieve a student of the responsibility for compliance at all times with all federal, state and municipal laws and ordinances.

Staff members in Campus Security or other assigned personnel may ticket students who are in violation of motor vehicle regulations. Cars that are illegally parked and/or repeatedly violate campus motor vehicle or parking regulations could be towed away at the owner’s expense.

Violations will result in monetary fines payable in the Business Office. Parking Fines are as follows:

  • No parking permit properly displayed $20.00
  • Illegally parked in a handicapped parking area $50.00
  • Illegally parked in visitor parking area $30.00
  • Parked in posted fire lane $30.00
  • Illegally parked in faculty/staff area $20.00
  • Other $20.00

The following constitutes possible misuses of the motor vehicle privileges at the College. This list is not all-inclusive and only serves as an example:

  • Parking in reserved parking spaces, or in an area not designated as parking, or operating a motor vehicle in areas other than driveways, streets, or parking lots.
  • Any act resulting in damage to campus or personal property in which case the person responsible shall pay the cost of such damage.
  • Reckless driving and/or speeding (over 10 m.p.h.).
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Creation of a nuisance through the use or operation of a motor vehicle, including College-owned vehicles.

Should you be involved in an accident on campus, please make sure both parties are not injured, and if somebody is injured, call 911. When there are no injuries, call Carlinville Police Department at (217) 854- 3221, and they will respond to do an accident report. Please be advised that all state laws will be in effect, and if you are at fault and leave the scene without taking care of the accident, you may be arrested by the police department as well as face disciplinary action on campus for violating campus policies.

Personal use of College vehicles is not allowed. College owned vehicles are reserved for College business. Any staff, faculty or student member wishing to become an approved driver must begin that process with the Motor Pool Office. Approval involves a thorough check of an individual’s driving record, a brief test, and takes at least one week. After providing Motor Pool personnel with a copy of a valid driver’s license, personnel in that office will notify the individual if they have been approved to operate college vehicles.



Blackburn College is committed to maintaining a safe and secure environment for minors on campus. Sexual abuse is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at Blackburn College. This policy outlines the responsibilities and expectations for all faculty, staff, student employees, and volunteers related to the protection of minors during their participation in programs and activities sponsored by, affiliated with, or occurring at the College.

In addition to conduct prohibited under the College’s Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy and the Equal Employment Opportunity & Nondiscrimination Policy, this policy specifically prohibits sexual abuse of minors, which includes serial child molestation and sexual misconduct:

  • Child molestation means illegal or otherwise wrongful sexual conduct with a minor by a person who is covered by this policy.
  • Serial sexual misconduct is any illegal or otherwise wrongful sexual conduct: (a) with more than one victim and (b) committed by or alleged to have been committed by any perpetrator who is covered by this policy.

Sexual abuse with respect to a minor includes the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the minor or the perpetrator. This policy also prohibits sexual abuse defined by Illinois law as: Criminal Sexual Assault (720 ILCS 5/11-1.20(a)), Aggravated Criminal Sexual Assault (720 ILCS 5/11-1.30), Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault of a Child (720 ILCS 5/11-1.40(a)), Criminal Sexual Abuse (720 ILCS 5/11-1.50), Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse (720 ILCS 5/11-1.60).

This policy defines minor and child as individuals who have not yet reached the age of majority (18 years old). The terms minor and child are used interchangeably in this policy.

Under Illinois law, all employees of Blackburn College are mandated reporters. Mandated reporters are required to call the Illinois Child Abuse Hotline when they have reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be an abused or neglected child. Abuse of a child includes both physical abuse and sexual abuse. The Hotline worker will determine if the information given by the reporter meets the legal requirements to initiate an investigation.

If you are not sure whether or not to report a situation or incident to the Hotline, it should be reported. Blackburn College’s policy is to err on the side of overreporting.

Reporters may contact the Illinois Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-25-ABUSE (1-800-252-2873). The Hotline operates 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. Reporters should be prepared to provide phone numbers where they may be reached throughout the day in case the Hotline must call back for more information. If a report is not an emergency, the report may be submitted through the Illinois online reporting system at:

For more information on making a report to the Hotline, see the reporting instructions later in this policy.

Blackburn College prohibits retaliation against any individual who in good faith reports an incident of sexual abuse or possible warning signs of sexual abuse.

Blackburn College prohibits retaliation against a person who engages in activities protected under this policy. Reporting, or assisting in reporting, suspected violations of this policy and cooperating in investigations or proceedings arising out of a violation of this policy are protected activities under this policy.

All members of Blackburn College’s community regardless of role, tenure, or compensation, including, but not limited to students, student-employees, faculty, staff, medical personnel, volunteers, and independent contractors are subject to this policy. Medical personnel or counselors working in any on campus health centers, or other College facility are also subject to this policy. All on-campus activities and College sponsored activities off-campus are subject to this policy.

This policy does not address sexual harassment or sexual misconduct that is not considered sexual abuse under this policy. That conduct is addressed in the Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity & Nondiscrimination Policy. For more information on the application of Title IX, see these policies, located at

Please do not let confusion over which policy may apply stop you from reporting. Any report of suspected sexual abuse can be made to the Title IX Coordinator (or designee) who can assist in assessing the application of Blackburn College’s policies.

Emergency Situations
If a minor is in imminent danger, employees should contact 911 for immediate assistance.

Report to Illinois Department of Children & Family Services
If an employee has reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be an abused or neglected child, then the employee must make a report immediately t o the Illinois Child Abuse Hotline operated by the Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (“DCFS”).

Illinois Child Abuse Hotline can be reached at 1-800-25-ABUSE (1-800-252-2873). The Hotline operates 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. Reporters should be prepared to provide phone numbers where they may be reached throughout the day in case the Hotline must call back for more information. If your call is not an emergency, please submit your report online through our online reporting system at

The employee should be prepared to give the Hotline as much information as possible, including:

  • Names, birth dates (or approximate ages), races, genders, etc. for all adult and child subjects.
  • Addresses for all victims and perpetrators, including current location.
  • Information about the siblings or other family members, if available.
  • Specific information about the abusive incident or the circumstances contributing to risk of harm—for example, when the incident occurred, the extent of the injuries, how the child says it happened, and any other pertinent information.

If this information is not readily available, the reporter should not delay a call to the hotline. The reporter should call the Hotline and provide as much information as the reporter can.

When an employee speaks to the Hotline, the employee should document the date and time of the call, the name of the Hotline worker with whom the employee spoke, and the response from the Hotline (whether a report was taken or not, and any explanation from the Hotline as to why a report was not taken). The employee will need to provide this information in writing to the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, or HR Designee.

After the report is made to the Hotline, mandatory reporters must confirm their telephone report in writing within 48 hours using the form provided by DCFS. The required form is available at:

Report to Title IX
In addition to reporting to DCFS, all employees must report if they have reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be an abused or neglected child to Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, or HR Designee.

Reporting to the Illinois Child Abuse Hotline should be immediate, and reporting to the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, or HR Designee should follow a report to the Hotline. Reporting only to the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, or HR Designee does not satisfy an employee’s mandated reporter requirement. Employees must also report to the Illinois Child Abuse Hotline.

The Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, or HR Designee will confirm that the employee has reported to Illinois Child Abuse Hotline. If the employee has not yet contacted the Hotline, the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, or HR Designee will immediately contact the Hotline to make a report.

Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinators, and HR Designees may be contacted at:

Title IX Coordinator
Jarrod Gray (interim), DCC 125. 854-5582.

Deputy Coordinator (Work Program)

Deputy Coordinator (Athletics)
Kim Camara-Harvey, Dawes 100, 217-854-5719,

HR Designee
Marshall Petty, Ludlum 209. 217-854- 5563.

HR Designee
Sarah Mouch, Ludlum 212. 217-854- 5513.

The Title IX Coordinator will be responsible for reviewing all reports to the Illinois Child Abuse Hotline, and any other internal report regarding sexual abuse, and shall maintain documentation of all reports.

Failure to Report
Under Illinois law, a mandated reporter’s failure to report suspected child abuse or neglect is a Class A misdemeanor for a first violation and a Class 4 felony for a second or subsequent violation. Further, a failure of an employee or volunteer to report sexual abuse as required by this policy may result in discipline up to and including termination.

All reported alleged incidents of sexual abuse will be reviewed by the Title IX Coordinator or designee. When necessary and appropriate, the Title IX Coordinator will appoint an appropriately trained investigator(s) to conduct a thorough, impartial investigation of a report of sexual abuse. All employees are required to cooperate with any investigation into allegations of sexual abuse. The investigator(s) will prepare a written report to be provided to the Title IX Coordinator or designee, who will take any further steps that are necessary and appropriate to address the report of sexual abuse. The College will coordinate any investigation with state officials from DCFS and/or law enforcement to avoid any interference with their investigations.

Where reports of sexual abuse fall under the scope of the College’s Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy or the Equal Employment Opportunity & Nondiscrimination Policy, any investigation will be conducted pursuant to those policies.

Background checks/screening
Blackburn College performs pre-employment background checks on all new employees, including temporary employees, as a condition of employment. The College also performs background checks for all volunteers. Current employees have an on-going obligation to inform the HR designee if the employee is charged with a crime during employment.

This policy defines background checks as including, but not limited to, the following:

  • A search for sex-related offenses in an individual’s counties of residence for the past seven years;
  • A search of the Department of Justice National Sex Offender records of sex offenders; and
  • A database search for criminal activity in the individual’s states of residence for the past seven years

Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status
Under Illinois law, all individuals who become mandated reporters by virtue of their employment shall sign statements acknowledging that they are mandated to report suspected child abuse and neglect pursuant to Illinois law. All employees of Blackburn College must sign an acknowledgement of mandated reporter status, which will be kept by the College as a permanent part of the employee’s personnel record.

Training requirements
All employees must complete mandated reporter training within three months of their hire and at least every three years thereafter. All employees will also have training on the requirements of this policy. Additional training may be required of employees and volunteers who work directly with minors in any Blackburn College sponsored programs or events.

For more information on the requirements for mandatory reporters, employees should review the Illinois DCFS Manual for Mandatory Reporters, available online at:


Blackburn College is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA) and maintains a meditation room on campus that is available for meditation and private prayer for all students regardless of religious affiliation.


Students serve on many campus-wide committees at Blackburn College and gain valuable experience while providing valuable input. While students are often invited to serve on a specific committee, any student interested in serving on campus-wide committees can express their interest to the Dean of Students and/or the Office of the President.