Table of Contents

Student Housing

Student Housing


The Residence Life program at Blackburn is designed to give each student the opportunity to not only have a place to sleep and study but also a place to be with friends, a place to learn about themselves and others, and a place to experience the sense of being part of a community. Residence Life seeks to foster and maintain a climate that celebrates diversity and brings students together in a community where differences are respected. We consistently strive to create an atmosphere of civility in each residence hall where self responsibility and mutual respect are not only encouraged, but expected.


Each resident student, prior to moving into campus housing, will be presented with a housing contract and will be expected to read and sign this contract. Students have a right to ask for a copy of their signed housing contract by contacting the Student Life Office.


Blackburn College recognizes the importance of the college residential experience as part of overall student learning and development. The College is therefore committed to providing students the opportunity of living in affordable campus housing, in communities with their peers, and participating in shared governance.

It is expected that all traditional aged students (18-23) will reside in campus housing. Exceptions to this policy may be made for:

  • Students who reside with their spouses in the Carlinville area;
  • Students who reside with their parents, in the parents’ primary residence, within 50 miles of campus (A student’s parent or legal guardian may be required to provide verification);
  • Students who reside off campus with their children;
  • Students who have completed at least eight semesters in residence on the Blackburn campus; and
  • Students who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree. Exceptions will only be made with an approved residency exception form.

In addition to these circumstances, an approved Residency Exception Request Form may be sought for students who will be 21 or older by September 1st for the fall semester or February 1st for the Spring semester or have senior standing. Students must have an approved Residency Exception Request Form on file in the Student Life Office. A new status certification must be filed each academic year.

Incoming students wishing to commute will also be required to file a Residency Exception Request Form.

It is expected that the following students will not reside on campus and must petition the Office of Residence Life if they wish reside in a residence hall:

  • Students who take less than a full time (12 credit hours) schedule of courses.
  • Students who have been removed from the residence halls by specific College action.
  • Part-time students who petition to live on campus must participate in the Work Program. Their housing will be subject to available space in the residence halls.


The On-Call/On-Duty system provides the College with a responsible individual to assess and deal with emergency situations. In case of a serious emergency, the Office of the President is notified. Only the Office of the President may speak with the media in such matters.

The Resident Director (“RD”) or Resident Assistant (“RA”) “on duty” in each building is on duty from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. from Sunday through Thursday and from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

In addition, a Resident Director who is “on call” for campus emergencies must be within twenty minutes of campus in case of an emergency and will have the “RD on call” phone with them at all times during their shift.

Emergency Notification Contact Information:

Maintenance (i.e. electrical, plumbing, etc.) emergencies are reported as follows:

  • from 8:00am to 5:00pm call ext. 217-854-5503.
  • from 5:00pm to 8:00am call the Resident Director on call at 217-825-7504.


  • Pull the fire alarm.
  • Call 911.
  • Notify RD/RA or the Resident Director on call at 217-825-7504.

Injury, Accident, or Ambulance Request

  • Call 911.
  • Notify RD/RA or the Resident Director on call at 217-825-7504.

Violent Acts (assault and battery, explosions, etc.)

  • Call 911.
  • Notify RD/RA or the Resident Director on call at 217-825-7504.
  • Call Campus Community & Safety at 217-825-3042.


During breaks when the halls are closed (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring) all residents will be asked to close their windows and blinds, shut off all lights, empty their room trash, and lock their room doors and windows.

During the semester break in December, all residents will additionally be asked to unplug all electrical items (including fish tanks and refrigerators), empty refrigerators, and leave the refrigerator door open. Residents should defrost their refrigerator ahead of their departure.

Residence hall staff will check each room prior to departing from campus to ensure each room has been appropriately closed and secured for that break. Any perishable food items will be disposed of. Any items in plain sight that violate college policy will be confiscated and disciplinary sanctions will apply.


Mid semester room inspections will be announced at least 24 hours in advance so that students have the opportunity to be present in their room at the check if they so desire.

All College property that is customarily a part of the room will be checked.

Residents will be charged for repair or replacement costs on any damages identified.

Resident Directors will submit repair requests to Physical Plant. Students should report to the Resident Director or Resident Assistant when repairs have not been made so that additional assessments at later checks are not made.

Only those items which are College property will be checked. Under no circumstance will the resident’s personal belongings be checked. It is recommended that at least one resident of the room be present during maintenance checks (however, checks will take place regardless).



  • Campus damage is any act, intentional or unintentional, which results in damages or excessive messes to College property above and beyond normal use.
  • A proration is a proportionate division of an overall charge among the number of affected/responsible residents with no amount being less than $1.00 each (i.e., it could be a floor, a wing, an entire residence hall, or in very rare circumstances, the entire campus).
  • A fine is a fixed sum charged to a single person.

Responsible individuals will be charged for time and materials necessary to repair or clean the abused area and will be referred to the Director of Inclusive Housing for possible disciplinary action. Damages or losses to the interior of residence hall rooms will be charged to the occupant(s).

Up to a $50 charge plus possible replacement costs may be assessed to students who remove or disassemble furniture from residence hall rooms or parlors.

Residents will be held responsible for damage to any furniture or college supplied window treatments in the residence halls.

Lost key policy/procedure:

  • Room Key: $50
  • Residence Hall Exterior Door: $100
  • Students must pay the Business Office and take the receipt to the Director of Inclusive Housing.
  • Room locks will be “re-cored/keyed” if the resident has reason to suspect that someone has the key, and it was not simply “lost” but may have been “taken or found and not returned.”
  • If a student subsequently finds their lost key/s before the room door is re-cored, they will be refunded. If a student finds their lost key/s after the room door has been re-cored, no refund will be issued.

Failure to check-out of room with Resident Director or hall staff member at the end of any semester (or upon withdrawal from the College): $25.

A minimum $40 charge may be assessed to students not leaving their room in a clean and orderly state at checkout.

“Propping” outside residence hall doors: $50.

Damages, thefts, or messes not attributable to individuals may be prorated to a wing, floor, residence hall, or campus in cases where such are deemed excessive or repetitive (as determined by the Director of Inclusive Housing). Notification of pro-rata charges will be emailed to those who will be charged. The minimum pro-rata charge will be $1.00. In extreme situations, Student Life reserves the right to prorate residents for damage to the property of Residence Life Staff. See the next section for further description of prorated charges.

The amount of the damage charged will be determined by the Director of Inclusive Housing following consultation with Physical Plant professionals. Damage of an excessive or repetitive nature will normally be estimated and repaired by professional workers outside the College community and consequently will carry a higher per hour fee.

If necessary, pro-rata will be charged according to the following guidelines:

  • exterior and interior academic/support building damage will be prorated to all students;
  • residence hall interiors, common areas (parlors, entry ways, stairwells, etc.) will be prorated to all residents of that building;
  • residence hall interiors, floor areas (hallways, bath facilities, etc.) will be prorated to all residents of that floor or wing.

There are four circumstances in which a student may receive prorated charges. Keep in mind that the intent of proration is to encourage students to be active in and aware of their residence hall and campus community, and to encourage those making messes or causing damage to clean it up and/or claim responsibility for it. If it is found that there is an individual responsible for one of the following, a proration (assessed to a number of students) would then be turned into a fine (i.e., charged to the student found responsible).

Examples provided are simply a sample listing and not exhaustive or all inclusive.

  • Security Risks: Propped exterior residence hall doors, unlocked common area windows, improper use of fire extinguishers, fire escapes, or fire alarms.
  • Excessive Mess: The only mess that will be considered excessive will be one that involves bodily fluids/ solids. The mess must be excessive as deemed by the Campus Services Supervisor. Photos must be provided both before and after clean up to the Campus Services Supervisor and, if the mess is approved by the Campus Services Supervisor, the person doing the clean-up will be compensated for their work. Persons who create excessive messes will not be compensated for cleaning them up.
  • Unnecessary Mess: Any areas where:
    • On a repetitive basis, as determined by the Campus Services Supervisor and the Director of Inclusive Housing, an area that has garbage piled up around trash receptacles or in and around recycling containers, and/or substantial room trash is placed in public area trash receptacles inside buildings, and/or microwave rooms/ kitchens/ bathrooms are left with trash, food, dirty dishes, etc.
    • Any one incident taking place which demonstrates use or misuse of College property or supplies above and beyond normal as deemed appropriate by both the Campus Services Supervisor and the Director of Inclusive Housing
    • In acts of vandalism resulting in a large mess (e.g., discharging powder fire extinguishers, flooding areas with water, etc.) the Campus Services Supervisor and Director of Inclusive Housing may determine that a professional cleaning service must be brought in to clean the affected area. Those cleaning fees will be prorated to the residents in the area or fined to the responsible individual(s) in amounts that could reach $1000+.
  • Residence Hall Damage: Vandalizing or destroying any Blackburn property including but not limited to furniture, walls/ceilings, windows, and doors.

The only circumstance in which a person cleaning an area may be compensated for doing so is in the “excessive mess” explanation above. Any other messes or damages will be assessed an amount for cleaning, repair or replacement and that amount will be prorated to a living area or fined to one or more individuals found to be responsible. The monies collected will go into a general fund for residence hall maintenance or for the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged item.

Residence Hall staff and Campus Services staff will be trained each year in the specifics of how to designate the messes/damages described above. There will be an effort to keep proration to a minimum but students must be vigilant in living areas to keep excessive messes/damages from happening.

It is okay to tell a neighbor to stop making a mess!

Students who wish to appeal charges may do so in writing within 30 days of the billing date. Verbal appeals and any appeals received after 30 days may not be accepted for review.


A professional staff member will serve as the campus Fire Marshal. They may conduct fire drills and training sessions as deemed necessary and appropriate. They will issue guidelines for procedures to be followed in the event of a fire.

In order to ensure the safety of all persons on campus, the Fire Marshal has the responsibility of correcting any fire hazard. Occasionally, this may involve the confiscation of personal property (as stated below). This will be accomplished through the normal Room Search Policy and property will be turned over to the Student Life Office and appropriate action will be taken.

For reasons of fire safety, students are not permitted to have the following in their rooms:

  • hot plates
  • electric frying pans
  • any small appliance that glows red when heated (e.g., toasters, toaster ovens, pizza cookers)
  • microwave ovens
  • large refrigerators (over 3.1 cubic feet) or other appliances
  • air conditioners
  • any space heating equipment (electric, propane, or kerosene)
  • absolutely NO incense, candles, or other combustibles
  • halogen lamps
  • extension cords that are not of the heavy-duty type
  • no more than 15 people

This is not an exhaustive list. When in doubt, check with your Resident Director.

Fireplaces are for decorative purposes and may not be used.


Residence hall parlor furniture (or common area furniture) may not be removed from its location without permission of the Resident Director.

No college-supplied furniture should be altered or removed from a residence hall room. All furniture changes must be made with the combined permission of the Director of Inclusive Housing and Physical Plant professionals.


The purposes of maintenance checks/room inspections are to inventory furniture, continue upgrading the furniture in the residence halls, account for damages, repair damaged furniture and facilities, and improve the condition, cleanliness, and appearance of College furniture and facilities. Maintenance checks/room inspections are separate procedures and not to be confused with room searches.

Room inspections are conducted in each residence hall at check-in, mid-semester, hall breaks and check-out by the Resident Director or Resident Assistant. Residents will verify the condition of their room at check-in and will be held responsible for any damages or losses that occur subsequently


The Gender Inclusive Living Community is for Blackburn College residents who want a safe, inclusive, comfortable, and supportive community living experience for people of all gender identities and expressions. The community supports students who identify as transgender, gender nonconforming, cisgender, or who would like to be placed with a roommate of any gender identity.

Students who live in this community will be expected to contribute positively to the community by:

  • Offering support and encouragement of the living environment.
  • Respecting floor members’ different motivations for choosing this living environment.
  • Embracing and learning from experiences different from one’s own.
  • Participating actively in community events.
  • Abiding by all Blackburn College Housing Policies and Regulations.
  • Understanding that allyship is important for those who do not identify in the above categories.

Priority will be given to trans* and gender nonconforming students who have an express need for housing that fits their gender identity and/or identity expression. These students will be housed first and will have a guarantee to stay. Those living in the community who do not have an express need as described above will be asked to move elsewhere (either in the same hall or others) to make space for someone with an express need should that situation arise.



  • All requests for A/C for medical reasons must be made using the proper form available in the Student Life Office. Only the original form will be accepted, no photocopies. A new request must be filled out for each academic year.
  • Unauthorized cooling units will be not be allowed. This is to include, but not limited to, window units and portable air conditioning units.
  • Students requiring filtered/purified air must provide their own air purifiers. College A/C unit filters are not designed to remove small particles, but to prevent coils from becoming plugged with dust.
  • The campus-wide energy management system controls the power to A/C units. The A/C units are programmed to operate from (approximately) April 15 to October 15. These dates are guidelines based on average external temperatures for our area. Generally, if external temperatures hit a high of 75+ degrees during the day for three or more consecutive days, the hall boilers will be turned back and the A/C units engaged.
  • College A/C units are not designed to run below a certain outdoor temperature, and will not run when the building heating system is in operation.
  • All residents in air-conditioned halls are charged an extra fee for air conditioning. This fee covers not only the electricity to the A/C unit in each individual room but also the cost of maintaining and replacing the A/C units, the fees associated with operating the energy management system, and staff to maintain all of the above. A/C units will typically be used for a longer period of time in the fall versus the spring semester, but the fee is equally divided between both semesters.

All residents are required to review and sign a Room Condition Report (RCR) when taking occupancy of a residence hall room. By signing this room condition report the student is agreeing to the conditions of the room and furnishings. When the student checks out, they will be held liable for any discrepancies and will be held responsible for any damages or loss, including keys. If a resident leaves without signing this form, all losses/damages are assumed to be theirs, and they will lose the right to appeal damage charges. Campus Maintenance and/or the Director of Inclusive Housing may, upon their discretion, add incidental charges for damages overlooked by Residence Life Staff. Students may appeal damage charges, in writing, to the Director of Inclusive Housing within 30 days of the posting of the charges on the student’s account.

Loud noises heard beyond the confines of the room are considered to be noise, and the responsible student will be liable for disciplinary action. Music played on campus should be kept to acceptable levels to avoid disturbing classes and meetings and students who are studying. When music is played in a residence hall, all speakers are to be facing into the room. Residence Life Staff along with individual residents will be responsible for assuring that noise is kept to an acceptable level.

Quiet hours are times when noise is not allowed in the residence halls. Graham Hall has a set number of quiet hours designated by the Director of Inclusive Housing. In other halls, residents may set quiet hours with the approval of the Resident Director and the Director of Inclusive Housing. A minimum of eight quiet hours per weeknight is required in each residence hall. “Perpetual quiet hours” (23 quiet hours each day) are mandatory in all halls during the final week of each semester.

Students may not paint their rooms. Charges will be assessed for any painting that is done in a room.

Blackburn College assumes no responsibility for students’ personal property. All students are urged to carry insurance on their personal property either through their parents’ homeowners or tenants’ policies or through policies of their own. If students are not presently covered by such a policy, coverage can usually be arranged through a request to an insurance agent.

All rooms in the residence halls receive pest control treatment twice during the year. At the time of spraying, all furniture must be moved away from the walls and all items normally stored on the floors must be placed on top of furniture. All food items must also be sealed in bags.

It is against College regulations to stand/walk/sit on or jump off roofs or jump out of windows on campus. Screens are to remain in the windows. Fines may be assessed for violating any of these regulations.

Campus fire code limits the occupancy in residence hall rooms to a maximum of 15 persons present in a room at any one time.

The Blackburn Campus has been designated a smoke free campus inside all campus buildings. Smoking of any kind is not allowed in any residence hall rooms, bathrooms, hallways, or parlors in accordance with Illinois state law. Smoking is only allowed outside campus buildings, fifteen feet away from a door or an operable window. In regards to this policy, “smoking” includes vaping and use of e-cigs or Juuls.

Students are not permitted to have pets in their rooms, with the exception of non-toxic completely aquatic pets (20-gallon maximum tank).

For information on Service Animal and ESA policies, consult the information in the Americans with Disabilities Act section in the Student Handbook. The standards regarding approved service animals and ESAs in residential housing are outlined below.

Housing Standards

  • All required immunizations must be up to date and on-file with Disability Services.
  • All required animal licenses must be up-to-date and on file with Disability Services.
  • Collars and identification tags for dogs and cats must be worn at all times.
  • Approved animals are only permitted in the owner’s residence hall room or if on leash or crated into common areas of the home residence hall. The animals may not be taken into study areas, other student living areas, other residence halls, dining halls, classroom spaces or any other College building unless explicitly stated as a reasonable accommodation.
  • The animal must be on a leash or in a cage/container at all times when outside the resident’s room. An animal must never be allowed to roam freely or be left outside the owner’s room.
  • The animal should respond to voice or hand commands at all times, and be in full control by the owner. Owners are strongly encouraged to have an established relationship with the animal for at least six (6) months prior to bringing the animal to campus.
  • The individual is required to provide written consent for Disability Services to disclose information regarding the request for and presence of the animal to those individuals who may be impacted by the presence of the animal including, but not limited to, Residence Life personnel and potential and/or actual roommate(s)/neighbor(s). Such information shall be limited to information related to the animal and shall not include information related to the individual’s disability.
  • To the extent possible, the animal should be unobtrusive to other individuals and the learning, living, and working environment.
  • The owner must ensure that the animal does not:
    • Sniff people, or the personal belongings of others.
    • Display any behaviors or noises that are disruptive to others
    • Block an aisle or passageway for fire egress.
  • The animal must not disrupt others (e.g., barking continuously, growling, yowling, howling, crying, etc.). Animals which constitute a threat (perceived or otherwise) or nuisance to staff, residents, or property, as determined by the Director of Inclusive Housing and the Director of Student Success, must be removed from campus within seven (7) days of notification. If the College determines that the animal poses an immediate threat, animal control may be summoned to remove the animal. If the behavior of the animal can be addressed by the owner and the owner can change the behavior of the animal so that the animal does not have to be removed, then a written action plan must be submitted to Disability Services by the owner. The action plan must outline the steps that will be taken to alleviate the problem(s) and must also state a deadline for curing the behavior. Any action plan must meet the approval of the Director of Inclusive Housing and Director of Disability Services.
  • An animal must not be involved in any incident in which a person experiences the threat of or an actual injury as a result of the animal’s behavior. All liability for the actions of the animal (e.g., bites, scratches, damages etc.) is the sole responsibility of the owner. The owner is expected to take all reasonable steps to protect the College community and College property and the property of others.
  • The owner must notify Disability Services and Residence Life if the animal escapes or is unable to be located within eight hours.
  • The College reserves the right to reassign the owner and the animal to a different living space if the College determines the owner’s living space is not suitable for housing an animal (e.g. insufficient space based on size/weight of the animal).
  • The animal is allowed in College housing only as long as it is necessary because of the owner’s disability. The owner must notify Disability Services in writing if the animal is no longer needed or is no longer in residence. To replace an animal, the new animal must be necessary because of the owner’s disability and the owner must follow the proper procedures for requesting a different animal.

Care Standards

  • Animals require daily food and attention, as well as daily assessment of their general health, behavior and overall welfare. Owners are responsible for attending to the animal’s daily needs. Animals should also undergo routine maintenance including tick and flea prevention, de-worming and annual examinations.
  • Animals cannot be left unattended overnight at any time. If the owner must be away, the owner must either take the animal with them or arrange for it to be cared for outside of the College’s residence hall system.
  • Blackburn College personnel shall not be required to provide care or food for any animal including, but not limited to, removing the animal during emergency evacuation for events such as a fire alarm. Emergency personnel will determine whether to remove the animal and may not be held responsible for the care, damage to, or loss of the animal.
  • Animals may not be left on-campus in the care of another student. The only exception is that an ESA may be housed and cared for by another student on-campus with signed consent for a maximum of 48 hours when the animal’s owner is away on approved school business.
  • Animals must be housebroken and the owner is responsible for properly disposing of the animal’s waste. Cleaning up after the animal is the sole responsibility of the owner. In the event that the owner is not physically able to clean up after the animal, it is then the responsibility of the owner to hire someone capable of cleaning up after the animal. The person cleaning up after the animal must abide by the following guidelines:
    • Always carry equipment sufficient to clean up the animal’s feces whenever the animal is on campus.
    • Properly dispose of waste and/or litter in dumpsters and exterior trash receptacles. No animal waste may be disposed of in any interior trash receptacles, sinks, toilets or drains.
    • Contact residence life staff if arrangements are needed to assist with cleanup. Any cost incurred for doing so is the sole responsibility of the owner.
    • Animal accidents within the room must be promptly cleaned up using appropriate cleaning materials. Regular and routine cleaning of floors, kennels, cages and litter boxes is required. The odor of an animal emanating from the owner’s room is not acceptable.
  • Any flea infestation must be attended to promptly by a professional extermination company. The College’s Residence Life staff will schedule the extermination, which will be at the owner’s expense. Owners are required to promptly notify the Director of Inclusive Housing to arrange for extermination when a flea problem is noted. Owners are urged to take precautionary measures such as: flea medications prescribed by veterinarians, flea and tick collars, and/or taking your animal to the veterinarian for flea and tick baths.
  • When the owner moves out of his/her room or is no longer housing the animal, the room will be assessed to determine all damages, including those that can be attributed to the animal. The College reserves the right to conduct room inspections for the purpose of assessing damage caused by the animal or otherwise determine the owner’s compliance with these procedures.
  • The student-owner has an obligation to make sure that the living space is as clean as or cleaner than the original standard. If the living space has carpet, this also includes regular vacuuming and spot cleaning. Damages and extraordinary cleaning caused by the animal are the responsibility of the resident. Replacement or repair of damaged items will be the financial responsibility of the owner.

Failure to clean up after an animal accident or to properly dispose of waste as required by these Procedures will result in a cleaning fee of $150.00 per incident.

Blackburn College may require the individual to remove the animal from College housing if:

  • The animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others or causes substantial property damage to the property of others.
  • The animal’s presence results in a fundamental alteration of a College program;
  • The owner does not comply with the listed Housing and Care Standards;
  • The animal or its presence creates an unmanageable disturbance or interference with the College Community.

The College will base such determinations upon the consideration of the behavior of the particular animal at issue, and not on speculation or fear about the harm or damages an animal may cause. Any removal of the animal will be done in consultation with the Director of Student Success and may be appealed to the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer. The owner will be afforded all rights of due process and appeal as outlined in that process. Should the animal be removed from the premises for any reason, the owner is expected to fulfill their housing obligations for the remainder of the housing contract unless other arrangements are approved through Disability Services and the Residence Life office.


Guests are permitted to visit at any time during the day or night providing they have permission from the resident they are visiting and their roommate.

Cohabitation is not permitted.

In cases where students do not wish to have visitors in their room, their right of privacy shall have priority over roommates who may wish to entertain visitors. If a resident requests such privacy, the roommate should be informed and must comply.

Infractions of the rules governing residence hall visitation policies are to be referred to the Resident Director.

Students and visitors in the residence halls are required to use the appropriate restroom facilities in that building.

Off-Campus Guest Policy:

  • All off-campus guests must obey the above visitation policies as well as all other College rules and regulations. Violations will be cause for immediate removal from the campus. Students are responsible for the actions of their guest(s).
  • All off-campus visitors, including commuter students, staying past 9 p.m. must receive a guest pass (from the Residence Life Staff member on duty in the hall) and be the guest of a current student. The current student should accompany their guest throughout the guest’s stay.
  • Overnight guests may stay with a resident (free of charge) for two nights/three days only. After that period guests must leave campus. The same off campus guest cannot spend more than four nights/six days on campus per month and only if their host has the permission of their roommate and the RA or RD. If a visitor needs or wishes to stay beyond two nights, they must make arrangements with the Director of Inclusive Housing to stay in a College guest room (subject to availability) and will be charged the current rate.
  • Students who repeatedly violate the off-campus guest policy may lose the privilege to have guests on campus for a period of time determined by the Director of Inclusive Housing.
  • During “house events” off-campus guests must be registered 24 hours in advance of the event, with the Resident Director of the hall sponsoring the “house event.” Guests of residents of the sponsoring hall will receive preference and the Resident Director has the right to limit the number of guests.
  • Students are reminded to be aware of their legal responsibilities for the care and protection of guests under the age of 18. Guests under the age of 18 are under the legal age of consent.


During Spring semester, room assignments for the following fall will take place in the following order at a housing assignment event called “Room Draw.”

#1: “Squatters”: Current residents who wish to keep the same room (i.e., squat) may do so under all of the following conditions:

  • The student is registered for courses for the upcoming fall semester.
  • The student has not been on social, work or academic probation at any time during the semester.
  • The student has a roommate and it has been mutually agreed that the roommate will remain in the room, too, or that they will move out in favor of another roommate—and that roommate can present a copy of their course schedule for the following fall semester and has not been on social, work or academic probation at any time during the semester. Only one of the two roommates needs to be present as long as the one present has all of the above-mentioned paperwork for both and a proxy statement from the roommate not present.
  • Students cannot squat single rooms and double single rooms.

#2: Resident Assistants and Work Managers will be assigned double single rooms (enrollment permitting) or single rooms. A maximum of two work managers may be allowed in “faculty alley” in Jones Hall.

#3: Students who have provided the Director of Student Success (Disability Services) with a verifiable housing accommodation need in advance and that need has been reviewed and approved.

#4: Some rooms will be blocked off prior to any or all portions of Room Draw for specific use, i.e. medical and psychological exceptions.

#5: Wings or floors may be blocked off prior to any or all portions of Room Draw for specific class standing or gender or programmatic purposes.

  • Room Draw: To participate in room draw students must present a copy of their course schedule for the following fall semester. New or re-admit students must pay a $150 tuition deposit before they can be housed or listed as a roommate with a returning student.
  • Students in any Off-Campus Semester Program: these students will be informed via campus email announcements of the upcoming Room Draw and should designate a proxy to attend Room Draw and make their room selection for them in their absence. Proxy selection should be made by submitting an electronically completed “Room Draw Proxy Form” to the Director of Inclusive Housing via Blackburn email. Students participating in Off-Campus Semester Programs are subject to the same order of Room Draw as on-campus students. Participation in Off-Campus Semester Programs will count towards semesters living on campus. Failure to designate a proxy to complete Room Draw will result in students being assigned housing after Room Draw is complete.
  • Students will draw for rooms based on the number of semesters residing on campus—the most semesters on campus go first and so on. Ties of the number of semesters on campus will be broken by a random number draw. Students will draw for rooms in the following order:
    • Double-Single Rooms
    • Single Rooms
    • Double Occupancy Rooms
  • Students selecting a double occupancy room are expected to do so with a roommate. Students who do not have a roommate will be offered the opportunity to meet and talk with other returning students needing a roommate in order to find a match.
  • Returning students who do not have a roommate can sign up for a room during the last time slot of the room draw and will have an incoming student placed with them.

#6: For those students who want to live in a single or double-single room but were unable to obtain one through the room draw, a waiting list will be created at room draw via a separate “draw” process. This list will go into effect immediately after Room Draw and will be maintained until the next year’s room draw. As a single or double-single room becomes available, the Residence Life office staff will offer the room to students on the list. If a student declines the available space, the offer will go to the next person on the list until the space is filled. Each time a room becomes available, the first student on the list will be the first to be contacted.

#7: After everyone has been housed, no changes will be made without the consent of the Director of Inclusive Housing. Unauthorized moves will result in disciplinary action and potential fines.

#8: For students who wish to move (as space allows) to an alternate location, they should see the Director of Inclusive Housing who will determine if a room change can be made. The only time a room change can be made is between the third and fifth weeks of each semester. Roommates are expected and encouraged to work out difficulties and may wish to consult with their Resident Assistants or Resident Director for assistance.

#9: No freshman is permitted to live in a single or double single room alone. Exceptions may be made under special circumstances determined by the Director of Inclusive Housing.

#10: No student will be permitted to move after the fifth week of the semester. Exceptions may be made under special circumstances determined by the Director of Inclusive Housing.

#11: Each student will be allowed to move once each semester.

  • Double Single Policy. Stoddard second floor has the only guaranteed double-single space on campus and the only double single rooms available at room draw. When capacity permits, additional double single rooms will be available with the following guidelines:
    • Double single rooms will be offered first to: Resident Assistants; then Work Managers (by draw); AND finally, to students on the waitlist and the general population.
  • The charge for a double single is established by the Board of Trustees and will be charged for each semester. Call the Student Life Office for the current charge amount.
  • If a student who did not request a double single ends-up with one (i.e. roommate doesn’t return, withdraws, etc.) the student will be given two weeks to choose from three options: to have a student move in with them, to move in with another student, or to purchase the room as a double single at a prorated cost based on when the room becomes a double single.
  • If it is determined that a student’s behavior has been unreasonable to the point of causing their roommate to request and be granted permission to move, the student may be required to pay the double single charge and/or move to another housing assignment.

Students generally may expect privacy with regard to their rooms and personal belongings. However, College personnel may enter/search residence hall rooms when deemed necessary since they are owned, operated, and controlled by the institution.

Right of Entry:
Student Life Staff who have reason to believe that an emergency exists OR that a resident is significantly violating College policies may enter a student’s room using their interior master key AFTER having knocked on the door, announced themselves and waited at least 30 seconds.

In situations involving College policy violations, the RD may consider as evidence any item in plain or open sight. The personal possessions of students will not be disturbed unless appropriate authorization for a room search has been obtained as set forth below.

The College retains the right of entry for visual inspection of a student’s room for health and safety reasons or for general maintenance. These situations are not to be construed as room searches. Reasonable effort will be made to give at least twenty-four (24) hours’ notice prior to such entry. If contraband or other illegal or unauthorized objects and/or substances are found in student rooms during such entries, the Student Life Office will be contacted immediately and a decision will be made as to whether or not to pursue charges and/or seize the items.

Room Search and Seizure:
If a Resident Director has reason to believe that an emergency exists OR that a resident is significantly violating College policies AND the room will need to be searched, appropriate authorization must be obtained. Significant violations include but are not limited to alcohol, drug, and fire safety policy violations. In such cases, the following guidelines will be observed:

  • Proper authorization from Student Life Professional On-Call or the Office of the President must be granted prior to conducting a search. The search is to be authorized only when there is reason to believe that the resident is or may be concealing or committing a significant violation of the College rules or local, state or federal laws.
  • The reasons for the search, the objects being sought, and the room(s) to be searched must be specified when requesting a room search, and explained to the occupant at the time of the search.
  • Any Resident Director will jointly conduct the search with any professional Student Life staff member available on call for assistance. The person(s) requesting the search, if other than the RD, may be permitted to be present during the search.
  • At least one occupant of the room will be present during the search. If a specific resident is thought to be responsible for the reason that the room is being searched, they will also be present during the search if possible.
  • The individuals present in the room may be asked to empty, in full view of the staff member(s), contents of pockets, coats, shoes, book bags, purses, and similar items. In addition, individuals may be asked to present items hidden on their person (i.e. a can held and hidden under a coat). Failure to comply with such requests will result in citation for failure to comply with a staff member in the performance of their duties. All other personal items will be searched with as little disruption as possible.
  • A written final report is to be filed in the Student Life Office within three working days of the room search. All seized items will be stored until the resident(s) can take the items home or until proper authorities can be contacted.


Break housing is available only to those students who are selected to work for the College, have College related academic or athletic commitments, and international or out-of-state students where travel costs to and from home would be prohibitive. Employment in the Carlinville area will not be viewed as an exception to this policy. During the winter semester break all students will be required to leave campus during the time the College closes its operations (the College is closed from approximately December 23 through January 2 each year).

It is the student’s responsibility to fill out the proper break housing forms (available in the Student Life Office). During very short breaks, the College may designate a “break hall” to which all approved break residents must move.

Students who stay on campus during the summer to work and/or take summer classes will be charged a nominal fee for housing and dining. Students who have been academically suspended from the College are ineligible for campus break housing unless an exception is granted to take summer courses.